Re: [CF] A funny thing happened on the way to the...

  • Terry Mehlman
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
      on 3/5/05 11:23 AM, whistling_lass at whistling_lass@... wrote:

      >There were three drive-thru lanes and
      > all of them had cars, so there were lots of people around. I was a
      > bit embarrassed, but I wasn't about to walk back home just to get in
      > the car and drive back. That's crazy.

      That's great. Maybe you gave some of those folks trapped in their cars
      something to think about.

      When I was younger we regularly rode horses to the drive-in ice cream place.
      So, there is some precedent.

      Keep it up!

      -Terry, who is slowly working on becoming car-free
    • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
        Heh. When I lived in the US I used the drive thru at
        the bank while on my bike. Got a few odd looks. I've
        never seen a drive-thru in the UK. People hafta get
        off their butts here. Mind you, that does lead to
        people pulling up at the kerb, leaving the engine
        running, and using the ATM. Even though its illegal to
        leave an engine idling for more than 2 minutes.
        I often feel like stealing the car, driving it into a
        wall and saying 'but youmleft the keys in, you must of
        wanted to give it away'
        ;-)

        Shyrley

        --- whistling_lass <whistling_lass@...> wrote:

        > ...bank. I'm not yet sans car. The ad just went in
        > the paper. But
        > I've been acting as if I were. I needed to cash a
        > paycheck, and the
        > bank's always closed by the time I get home from
        > work. I figured the
        > bank would be open today for a few hours, at least,
        > so huffed it the 5
        > or 6 blocks only to discover they are closed on
        > Saturdays. The sign
        > indicates that the drive-thru is open. Hmm,
        > decisions, decisions. I
        > couldn't use the atm b/c I needed to cash the check,
        > not deposit it.
        > So, I mustered up all the
        > I-don't-care-what-people-think energy I had
        > and stood in line behind a car. There were three
        > drive-thru lanes and
        > all of them had cars, so there were lots of people
        > around. I was a
        > bit embarrassed, but I wasn't about to walk back
        > home just to get in
        > the car and drive back. That's crazy.
        >
        > Marcy

        > --------------------~-->
        > DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide
        > underprivileged children resources
        > often lacking in public schools. Fund a student
        > project in NYC/NC today!

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/5F6XtA/.WnJAA/E2hLAA/xbTolB/TM

        =====
        "It is not our job to protect the world from our children. It is our children who are the victims of very bad luck. Other people are not the 'victims' of our children, and no matter how hard we work at it, we are not going to 'fix' this child or make him 'normal'. It is not unreasonable to ask the world, one small group or one person at a time, to accept him as he is. Neither is it moral or just for society to exclude some of its members because including them takes some work or effort.One thing is sure. People will never accept our child if we don't ask them to and insist that they do." Barbara Gill, mother of a disabled child.

      • Dennis Fariello
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
          I do that, too... use the drive-thru on the bike. They have big signs
          up prohibiting walk-up use, though.

          When I was a kid just outside of NYC, our bank had a walk-up window on
          the outside. I don't think it had a drive-thru.

          -Dennis

          On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 11:38, SHYRLEY WILLIAMS wrote:
          > Heh. When I lived in the US I used the drive thru at
          > the bank while on my bike. Got a few odd looks. I've
          > never seen a drive-thru in the UK. People hafta get
          > off their butts here. Mind you, that does lead to
          > people pulling up at the kerb, leaving the engine
          > running, and using the ATM. Even though its illegal to
          > leave an engine idling for more than 2 minutes.
          > I often feel like stealing the car, driving it into a
          > wall and saying 'but youmleft the keys in, you must of
          > wanted to give it away'
          > ;-)
          >
          > Shyrley
        • Nualle Schallenberger
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
            Good going, Marcy!

            I've occasionally done that, too... walking through
            the drive-thru when the building is locked, the
            drive-thru is still open, and they don't have a
            walk-up window. But I like it much better on the
            trike. Much more relaxing (except for the carfarts).

            I've just uploaded a pic to the group photo page of my
            wife and me doing just that. (Well, my wife's bike and
            me -- she took the photo.)

            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • Fitzsimmons, Diane
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2005
              I go through the drive-through at my bank all the time on my bike. No
              rude comments, but all the tellers know me!

              Diane Fitzsimmons
              Norman, Okla., USA