A funny thing happened on the way to the...

  • whistling_lass
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
      ...bank. I'm not yet sans car. The ad just went in the paper. But
      I've been acting as if I were. I needed to cash a paycheck, and the
      bank's always closed by the time I get home from work. I figured the
      bank would be open today for a few hours, at least, so huffed it the 5
      or 6 blocks only to discover they are closed on Saturdays. The sign
      indicates that the drive-thru is open. Hmm, decisions, decisions. I
      couldn't use the atm b/c I needed to cash the check, not deposit it.
      So, I mustered up all the I-don't-care-what-people-think energy I had
      and stood in line behind a car. There were three drive-thru lanes and
      all of them had cars, so there were lots of people around. I was a
      bit embarrassed, but I wasn't about to walk back home just to get in
      the car and drive back. That's crazy.

      Marcy
    • Terry Mehlman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
        on 3/5/05 11:23 AM, whistling_lass at whistling_lass@... wrote:

        >There were three drive-thru lanes and
        > all of them had cars, so there were lots of people around. I was a
        > bit embarrassed, but I wasn't about to walk back home just to get in
        > the car and drive back. That's crazy.

        That's great. Maybe you gave some of those folks trapped in their cars
        something to think about.

        When I was younger we regularly rode horses to the drive-in ice cream place.
        So, there is some precedent.

        Keep it up!

        -Terry, who is slowly working on becoming car-free
      • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
          Heh. When I lived in the US I used the drive thru at
          the bank while on my bike. Got a few odd looks. I've
          never seen a drive-thru in the UK. People hafta get
          off their butts here. Mind you, that does lead to
          people pulling up at the kerb, leaving the engine
          running, and using the ATM. Even though its illegal to
          leave an engine idling for more than 2 minutes.
          I often feel like stealing the car, driving it into a
          wall and saying 'but youmleft the keys in, you must of
          wanted to give it away'
          ;-)

          Shyrley

          --- whistling_lass <whistling_lass@...> wrote:

          > ...bank. I'm not yet sans car. The ad just went in
          > the paper. But
          > I've been acting as if I were. I needed to cash a
          > paycheck, and the
          > bank's always closed by the time I get home from
          > work. I figured the
          > bank would be open today for a few hours, at least,
          > so huffed it the 5
          > or 6 blocks only to discover they are closed on
          > Saturdays. The sign
          > indicates that the drive-thru is open. Hmm,
          > decisions, decisions. I
          > couldn't use the atm b/c I needed to cash the check,
          > not deposit it.
          > So, I mustered up all the
          > I-don't-care-what-people-think energy I had
          > and stood in line behind a car. There were three
          > drive-thru lanes and
          > all of them had cars, so there were lots of people
          > around. I was a
          > bit embarrassed, but I wasn't about to walk back
          > home just to get in
          > the car and drive back. That's crazy.
          >
          > Marcy

          > --------------------~-->
          > DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide
          > underprivileged children resources
          > often lacking in public schools. Fund a student
          > project in NYC/NC today!

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/5F6XtA/.WnJAA/E2hLAA/xbTolB/TM

          =====
          "It is not our job to protect the world from our children. It is our children who are the victims of very bad luck. Other people are not the 'victims' of our children, and no matter how hard we work at it, we are not going to 'fix' this child or make him 'normal'. It is not unreasonable to ask the world, one small group or one person at a time, to accept him as he is. Neither is it moral or just for society to exclude some of its members because including them takes some work or effort.One thing is sure. People will never accept our child if we don't ask them to and insist that they do." Barbara Gill, mother of a disabled child.

        • Dennis Fariello
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
            I do that, too... use the drive-thru on the bike. They have big signs
            up prohibiting walk-up use, though.

            When I was a kid just outside of NYC, our bank had a walk-up window on
            the outside. I don't think it had a drive-thru.

            -Dennis

            On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 11:38, SHYRLEY WILLIAMS wrote:
            > Heh. When I lived in the US I used the drive thru at
            > the bank while on my bike. Got a few odd looks. I've
            > never seen a drive-thru in the UK. People hafta get
            > off their butts here. Mind you, that does lead to
            > people pulling up at the kerb, leaving the engine
            > running, and using the ATM. Even though its illegal to
            > leave an engine idling for more than 2 minutes.
            > I often feel like stealing the car, driving it into a
            > wall and saying 'but youmleft the keys in, you must of
            > wanted to give it away'
            > ;-)
            >
            > Shyrley
          • Nualle Schallenberger
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
              Good going, Marcy!

              I've occasionally done that, too... walking through
              the drive-thru when the building is locked, the
              drive-thru is still open, and they don't have a
              walk-up window. But I like it much better on the
              trike. Much more relaxing (except for the carfarts).

              I've just uploaded a pic to the group photo page of my
              wife and me doing just that. (Well, my wife's bike and
              me -- she took the photo.)

              Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
            • Fitzsimmons, Diane
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7, 2005
                I go through the drive-through at my bank all the time on my bike. No
                rude comments, but all the tellers know me!

                Diane Fitzsimmons
                Norman, Okla., USA