Re: Folding Bikes

  • Theo Schmidt
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2 12:10 AM
      John Bourn wrote:
      >I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned the advantages of folding
      >bikes. I have a Brompton which I use regularly (I don't drive) but which
      >adds the flexibility of being able to take it on a bus, a train or the Metro
      >(our local subway system).

      I have a Brompton myself as well as a few other folding models, but the
      Brompton is by far the best, not just because of the high-quality
      workmanship, but because the first step in folding only takes one second
      and I often take the bike just half-folded like this into a train or bus.

      Folding bikes plus trains are the fastest and most convenient way of
      getting around in most of Europe if you don't have too much luggage. Most
      people don't realise this, and while they will stare in awe and applaud
      your folding demonstrations, they will inwardly think "How strange - you
      won't catch me on one of those contraptions!".

      I recently got Juliane Neuss's recumbent conversion kit for the Brompton.
      It is now even better to ride, although a bit heavier. It still folds small
      but is no longer quite as handy. However I can carry much more luggage now.

      Theo Schmidt, Switzerland