new scooter ordinance

  • Kurt Jensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2005
      On Monday, the 14th, the Eugene, OR city council will hear public testimony on the
      proposed ban on MTDs (motorized transportation devices) from all bike/ped paths under
      its jurisdiction. I've written a number of letters to all the city councilors, and the mayor,
      on this subject, and the ordinance is expected to pass, but I anticipate the pro-MTD folks
      will be out in numbers.
      While I recognize that MTDs in all their various forms represent, for many, an option to
      the automobile, my position (which is shared by many) is that the bike/ped paths are one
      of the very few places where humans can move in a motor-free environment. So, while I
      would encourage the use of MTDs on public roads, I have been active in trying to get them
      off of our local bike/ped/jogger/skater/dog-walker/baby-stroller paths. Given the
      various types of non-licensed MTDs available, from low-wattage 3-wheelers that amble
      along at a walking pace to 1000 watt chopper-replicas that can reach speeds exceeding
      20+ mph, it seems clear that an ordinance that would allow some MTDs, but not others,
      would be unenforceable. Hence, they are all banned, except for those exempted as
      mentioned in the ordinance.
      The proposed ordinance, in the "Files" section in PDF, is simply FYI.

      Kurt Jensen
      Eugene, OR