Re: [CF] Re: oil problem?

  • Steven Schoeffler
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "tomfrostjr" <tomfrostjr@...>

      > TF: Don't laugh; powering them isn't the only issue. I've often pipe
      > dreamed, rather, about how to harness them on downgrades.
      >
      > One method would be to replace the Jake Brake with a generator and a
      > system for selling the electricity (whether through battery packs
      > replaced with uncharged ones at car-charging stations, or through
      > pairs of overhead wires along downgrades).

      Why not make hybrid trucks?

      Steve
    • tomfrostjr
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2004
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Schoeffler" <steve@i...>
        wrote:

> [...]

        TF: The "problem" with all hybrid vehicles (in the context of the
        fact that even the Al Gores of the world want maximum speeds when
        motoring, including up hills) is that the likely-to-be-sold-anytime-
        soon ones all have less horsepower than their equal-price, fossil-
        fuel-propulsion-only counterparts. So although I've written various
        times that I'd prefer to see motor vehicles be weaker and slower, we
        must put more eggs in our basket by also considering ways of
        harnessing the waste energy from vehicles with a conventional
        horsepower-to-weight ratio.

        Therefore, the advantage of my proposed electricity-sales-from-the-
        truck system, is that it'd accommodate the kind of modest-sized
        generator (like say 10 or 20 kw) that today's big-engined trucks
        would have room for (i.e., not the kind of super-big
        generator/battery pack that would be necessary for a hybrid truck of
        the same horsepower as today's trucks and which would probably add
        scores of percent to the weight of the truck).

        Even with a small generator, a "perfect" energy conversion efficiency
        (which occurs when the whole descent is done without applying the
        brakes) would be obtainable by simply descending slow enough (a
        safety plus, and to a certain extent already required by law anyhow)
        with the generator geared high enough.

        - Tom Frost Jr.