Re: [CF] Re: The car-free "look"/was the Sunday Times

  • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
      DH commutes 13 miles daily in jeans and a t-shirt. He changes the t-shirt for a shirt when he gets to work. He wears his normal shoes too. The only gripe he has is that when it rains his shoes are soggy all day. I bought him special over-shoes that sheild your feet but he wont wear them. He has clips to hold the trouser legs in.
      The only cycling specific thingy he has in a goretex rain jacket.
      And Bristol is very hilly. When he arrives home he is ordered into the bathroom. Ewwwwwwwww.

      Shyrley

      Serge <ljserge@...> wrote:

      > > I am not a great fan of "cycling" clothes for transport journeys, I
      > > prefer "ordinary" clothes.

      I have to climb hills on my commute. To make it to work in any
      reasonable time, I have to go fast enough to break a sweat on these
      climbs. Which means I have to shower and change when I get to work.
      Ordinary clothes would not work on my commute. And when you are
      riding hard enough to sweat, the cycling clothes are much more
      comfortable.

      Plus, riding in jeans (or any long pants) is always troublesome. Even
      if you use a clip to keep the cuffs out of the chain and gears, oil
      and dirt usually get on their anyway. Not to mention that slacks with
      cycling shoes look goofy!

      And yes, I don't mind riding a few miles of flat on regular pedals,
      but if I'm actually trying to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of
      time, especially if there is some climbing involved, I want cycling
      shoes and I want to be clipped in.

      Is this too much cycling specific discussion for the "carfree" list?

      Serge

      Problem? Email: CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Suburbia: Where they rip up all the trees and name streets after them.

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
        On 5 Oct 2004 at 10:19, Fitzsimmons, Diane wrote:

        > I must admit I often make judgments as to the reasons behind bicycling
        > by looking at the clothes I see on fellow bicyclists: [snip]
        >
        > Maybe I've stepped on enough toes with my groundless stereotypes to
        > prompt some discussion. :^)

        Like all stereotypes there is some truth in them.

        I will *always* explain why I revoke a key, unless the UK
        government prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
          On 5 Oct 2004 at 19:35, Serge wrote:

          > I have to climb hills on my commute. To make it to work in any
          > reasonable time, I have to go fast enough to break a sweat on these
          > climbs. Which means I have to shower and change when I get to work.
          > Ordinary clothes would not work on my commute. And when you are
          > riding hard enough to sweat, the cycling clothes are much more
          > comfortable.

          There are occasions where some "cycling" clothes are advantageous, for
          example on a long transport journey. However, this only really applies
          below the waist. Above the waist "ordinary" clothes can be hung up for
          the day in a suitable place.

          I will *always* explain why I revoke a key, unless the UK
          government prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
        • Paul Cooley
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
            Diane,

            Your set of assumptions fits us pretty well, except that I'm an
            at-home-dad and not a college professor. I do have an MA in Eastern
            Classics (China and India, not Boston and New York). College Professor
            is on my list of things I would like to do.

            No toes stepped on here.

            I haven't been using my email much, but I'm pleased to report that
            we're still carfree, and we are making our way around town on a family
            triple with Burley trailer. It's fun for all four of us to get around
            on one bike!

            Paul Cooley