Re: [CF] The car-free "look"/was the Sunday Times

  • J. Bruce Fields
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
      On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 07:27:09PM -0000, Serge wrote:
      > You can pick up the 600+ page monster at Amazon. Some of the stuff
      > isn't that great, but the 3 (?) chapters on riding in traffic, lane
      > positioning, etc. etc, are priceless.

      John Allen's "Bicycling Street Smarts" has basically the same content as
      the riding-in-traffic chapters of Effective Cycling, but is more
      concise, and available by mail-order cheap or for free online (so you've
      no excuse not to hop over and browse through it now):

      http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/index.htm

      Highly recommended.--b.
    • Serge
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@f...> wrote:
        > On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 07:27:09PM -0000, Serge wrote:
        > > You can pick up the 600+ page monster at Amazon. Some of the stuff
        > > isn't that great, but the 3 (?) chapters on riding in traffic, lane
        > > positioning, etc. etc, are priceless.
        >
        > John Allen's "Bicycling Street Smarts" has basically the same content as
        > the riding-in-traffic chapters of Effective Cycling, but is more
        > concise, and available by mail-order cheap or for free online (so you've
        > no excuse not to hop over and browse through it now):
        >
        > http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/index.htm
        >
        > Highly recommended.--b.

        I agree that "Street Smarts" is a good reference, but it doesn't
        explain the underlying principles of vehicular cycling provided in
        "Effective Cycling", the firm understanding of which is absolutely
        essential for being able to apply them instantly "on the fly" in the
        multitude of situations we find ourselves in in traffic.