more on costs

  • Ed Beighe
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2004
      > 12. What differences does travelling without using a car make for you
      > in terms of money?
      >
      > -None. My car gets 30 mpg, so a roundtrip is less than half a gallon,
      > so about $1/day. $3/week (assuming I ride an avg of 3 times per
      > week). $150/year. But my cycling costs exceed that amount by quite a
      > bit - so the net savings is nil. I still pay for registration,
      > insurance and oil changes on the car.

      Serge,
      I'm not sure why it would cost $150 to ride a bike 1,800 miles.?

      But looking at the bigger picture -- I think you may be neglecting to count
      all costs, and/or missing out on some of the benefits.

      Depreciation/Maintenance: While some car maintenance is more depenedent on
      time, mostly it's correlated with usage, in other words you are quite
      probably extending the life of your car on the days you commute by bike (in
      other words it's value is depreciating more slowly). And if like me you pay
      for tags based on car value, keeping an older car longer is quite a savings
      too.

      INsurance: cutting miles may enable you to qualify for a better rate on your
      auto insurance. My insurer bases rates strongly on the number of miles
      driven *per week* back and forth to work. so in your example, your full-time
      driving would be 60 miles, but by driving only 3x per week, it would shrink
      to 36 miles. I also qualify for the best rate because the car is driven
      overall less than 7,500 miles per year -- something i doubt that we (it's
      really the family car) could get to without supplementing bike miles for
      some of the car miles.