Having it all in America

  • Robert J. Matter
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/09/29/having_it_all_in_america/

      DERRICK Z. JACKSON
      Having it all in America

      By Derrick Z. Jackson, Globe Columnist | September 29, 2004

      DURING A football commercial break, my TV turned into a kaleidoscope for
      a crazily spinning Hummer. During another timeout, a Cadillac spun
      around a dance floor, bullying several foreign luxury cars off to the side.

      No other metaphors are necessary to understand the United States on the
      eve of the presidential debates.

      About 1,050 US soldiers are dead in Iraq. Up to 15,000 Iraqi civilians
      are dead. None of that has persuaded us Americans to put down the
      kaleidoscope and stop spinning in our own orbits. No amount of mass
      sacrifice abroad has resulted in mass sacrifice at home. No amount of
      failure in the original mission of finding weapons of mass destruction
      in Iraq has made us question the fantasy of bullying the world. Our toys
      really are us. We're big, we're bad, and you Euro girlie-cars, we're
      cutting in.

      It would be sad to conclude someday that our leaders sent our soldiers
      halfway around the world to die for our cars. In the absence of weapons
      of mass destruction and in the absence of Saddam Hussein being tied to
      Sept. 11, there is not much left to conclude. On its current website,
      the Economist Intelligence Unit says "the biggest potential prize" and
      an "ideal prospect" for international oil companies is Iraq, home to the
      world's second- or third-largest oil reserves. In 1993, the deaths of a
      mere 18 Army Rangers in resource-starved Somalia made us flee that country.

      Today we accept 58 times more American fatalities to secure Iraq. We
      accept the death of human beings who just finished being boys and girls,
      yet we have not accepted the notion that to avoid losing more of them,
      the rest of us must grow up. In 1991, during the first Gulf War to
      defend Kuwait from Saddam, Americans were consuming 25.2 percent of the
      world's oil. Today the figure is 26.1 percent, according to statistics
      kept by British Petroleum.

      A huge part of that consumption is our insistence on huge cars,
      symbolized by Hummers and Caddys. But almost everything about our
      lifestyles, from our obesity epidemic to our homes, reeks of not giving
      one whit about being only 4 percent of the planet's population yet
      creating a quarter of the greenhouse gases that contribute to global
      warming. Even though the size of the American family has shrunk over the
      last half-century, the size of the average American home has more than
      doubled, with a single home in the suburbs loaded with more technology
      than whole villages in the developing world.

      If any of this comes up during the debates, it will be a miracle. The
      last thing voters want to hear from a presidential candidate is that a
      more secure America means a less selfish America. You certainly will not
      hear that from President Bush, who says he can drill us into energy
      independence, even if that takes out a few snow geese and polar bears up
      in the Arctic. Nor will you probably hear much about sacrifice from his
      challenger, John Kerry. The Massachusetts senator has a voting record
      that earned him the endorsement of many environmental groups. But in the
      heat of pandering to voters, Kerry also said: "You want to drive a great
      big SUV? Terrific. That's America."

      It should be a national shame that more than 1,000 soldiers have died in
      Iraq, and to this day the only sacrifice President Bush has asked of
      Americans was so trivial as to be utterly American. "One of the great
      goals of this nation's war is to restore public confidence in the
      airline industry," Bush said 16 days after 9/11. "It's to tell the
      traveling public: Get on board. Do your business around the country. Fly
      and enjoy America's great destination spots. Get down to Disney World in
      Florida."

      Hummers, Caddys, and Disney World. That's America. A Martian landing in
      front of an American TV set on a Sunday afternoon would conclude that
      that is what our modern wars are for.

      The presidential debates are about to start. Bush and Kerry will say
      they can best finish the job in Iraq and make America more secure.
      Neither has dared to tell Americans that the job begins at home. The
      debate will matter when one of them asks us to put down the kaleidoscope
      and end the fantasy of a chicken in every pot and a gas guzzler in every
      garage.

      Derrick Z. Jackson's e-mail address is jackson@....
      © Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.