Re: [CF] This is London?

  • billt44hk
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Simon Baddeley <s.j.baddeley@b...>
      wrote:
      > ....The trouble with motorised road travel is that swathes of
      landscape for
      > miles around are blighted by the more or less constant tearing
      howl of
      > traffic. ...... For some this is a
      > sort of urban leitmotif which they¹d miss if it disappeared. To me
      it¹s.....
      > Drivers don¹t hear this sound, ....

      Listening to Radio 4's 'Today' programme this morning they had a
      feature arising from on the results of a survey of older people who
      remember the fifties, -the consensus view of the oldies apparently
      being that life was better then.
      In the following studio discussion there was mention of the
      relaxed external environment of those days, children allowed to
      play freely outside the house, even a reference to children going to
      school on their bikes. But not a single reference or allusion to
      how it is mainly car proliferation and the dangers imposed by cars
      which has changed this. Instead, all the participants can think of
      is fear of crime as the explanation for today's caging children
      indoors!
      Out of the mouths of the cardependent media-folk shall come blind
      denial and delusion :-)

      Bill
    • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
        wrote:
        > ....The trouble with motorised road travel is that swathes of
        landscape for
        > miles around are blighted by the more or less constant tearing
        howl of
        > traffic. ...... For some this is a
        > sort of urban leitmotif which they¹d miss if it disappeared. To me
        it¹s.....
        > Drivers don¹t hear this sound, ....

        I just walked to the post office in Fishponds, Bristol. It's about 2miles alongside a busy city road. 1 lane in each direction, lots of cars parked on either side. My 9 yo was chatting away but I couldn't hear a damm word he said cos of the traffic noise. It wasn't even going fast cos the speed limit is 30 mph and being Bristol it was heavily congested. When I was little I could chat to my mum as we walked places. Not even that long ago either.

        But to avoid this noise we'd have to move somewhere isolated and rural. And then we'd need a car. Spoiling what we are seeking.

        Shyrley

      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
          ... And the inequity here is that inside moist modern cars it is quiet quiet
          enough ­ certainly at urban traffic speeds ­ to have an easy chat.