A commuting question

  • balding_dude86@mailcity.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2000
      Hi, everyone! First I want to say how wonderful this group hasbeen; I have found it very supportive and I don't feel so alone inthis world since I don't have a car and actually don't like drivingmuch.Even if I did like driving and managed to overcome my anxieties and pass the road test , however, there is no way that I couldafford a car at this point. I have been looking at other ways toget around. The dilemma I have is this: do any of you haveexperience with those electric mini-scooters (like the Zappy
    • Theo Schmidt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2000
        ... however, there is no way that I couldafford a car at this point. I
        have been looking at other ways toget around. The dilemma I have is this:
        do any of you haveexperience with those electric mini-scooters...

        Not mini-scooters, but lots of other things. Peugot (French automobile
        manufacturer) makes the ScootElec, a really nifty electric motor-scooter:

        - up to two people (normal dimensions), otherwise one
        - speed up to 45 km/h (which is plenty fast if you are not a speed addict)
        - range about 50 km (which is plenty for any commutes you will want to do
        with such a vehicle)
        - reliable, 4-year battery garantee
        - completely silent, very handy
        - cost about $3000
        - design clean but unspectacular

        However except for the possibility of taking a passenger, it would be much
        better to get a modern e-bike or pedelec. I can especially recommend the
        Swiss-Flyer or the Velocity Dolphin (also Swiss, and probably difficult to
        get anywhere else at the moment). These bikes give you great performance at
        ranges around 25 km and keep you fit, cost $2000-$3000.

        After you've used such e-bikes for a while, you might get fit enough to
        start using a standard bike or HPV without any motor, or with a short
        commute (less than say 10 km and not many hills) you can start cycling
        straight away.

        Theo Schmidt, Switzerland