tollways

  • Kurt Jensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004
      My initial thoughts on tolls on roads is that they are a regressive tax on those who are
      dependant on cars and roads, and hit those who can least afford them hardest. Toll roads
      will clear those roads for wealthy people driving luxury cars who are now spared the
      troubling sight of people in older, less-pretentious vehicles. A toll-freeway in Orange
      County, California is an example of this.
      While I'm all in favor of increasing the cost of operating an automobile, I'm concerned
      about the consequences on the working (and driving) poor. They will be hit the hardest,
      and bear the consequences before we come up with alternatives to the automobile. The
      wealthy will pay the increased costs easily and happily.

      Kurt Jensen
      Eugene, OR
    • peterm5365
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2004
        Another added benefit, and one of thr primary reasons that toll roads
        exist is that the tolls directly provide for the upkeep of said
        roadways. It's a way of more equitably transferring the cost of
        maintenance to those who use it. Many tollways such as the New Jersey
        Turnpike or the Will Rogers Turnpike in Kansas are used by people who
        are simply transitting the area and therefore due not contribute to
        local taxes. Most highway money is Federal, but the tollways provide
        a way for local precincts to defer more of the cost to road users
        that may not contribute to local taxes.

        Peter Marsh