Re: [CF] Air Travel & Petro-Entitlement

  • De Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2004
      Tom.W.Volckhausen@... (Tom.W.Volckhausen@...) wrote:

      > Personally, I am very conflicted about the obvious impacts of air travel
      > which De mentioned. Probably jet travel is the single largest enviro impact
      > I am responsible for. I try to minimize jet travel but am unwilling to give
      > up the broad range of experiences resulting from international travel.

      one of the more cogent defences of air travel my friend has offered over
      the last couple of years is that "travel broadens the mind" and that
      Americans are too parochial. my counter-argument was that the hypermobile
      travelling of privileged Americans has not, by and large, increased the
      diversity of opinions and options in America as it has contributed to the
      levelling and deadening of cultural diversity abroad, as American tourists
      demand a McDonald's and a Starbucks wherever they go...

      > With families and friends spread out as a consequence of the ease of fossil
      > fueled travel and extended train and bike trips made difficult by limited
      > time off at my job, my family seems to take at least one plane trip a year.
      > All 6 billion people on the planet cannot do this without rapidly
      > exhausting oil and changing climate radically.

      hell, not even 10 percent of us can do this without rapidly exhausting oil
      and changing climate radically -- it's happening.

      > powered networks of highspeed trains, hydrogen powered lighter than air
      > dirigibiles (helium filled of course), relaxed work schedules allowing

      ah, Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age world with its giant dirigibles...

      > I think more leisure time could help reduce consumption in the US by
      > allowing a more relaxed "Slow Food" approach to life, but everything seems
      > to be heading the other way, with the produce/consume treadmill speeding up
      > instead of slowing down.

      and guess who's skimming the cream off the top as the treadmill spins.

      > Seems like a long-winded rationalization...Anyway, I want to make our next
      > family vacation train and bike based.

      I was hoping people would come forward with tons of good ideas for train
      and bike vacations... I am definitely hooked and would prefer not to use
      planes for vacation travel ever again.

      de

      :Mail: de@... | Your planet's immune system is trying to get rid :
      :Web: www.ucolick.org | of you. --Kurt Vonnegut :
      :1024D/B9C9E76E | F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E: