Re: [CF] 'Reptilian' brain chooses vehicles

  • monoceroos
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2004
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, JamesJFitz@J... wrote:
      http://www.azcentral.com/class/marketplace/cars/0325wheels25cars.html

      > Hmm, where did all of the other articles on the 'reptilian brain'
      > that I've recently read go to? All I can find is this:
      >
      > http://www.2012.com.au/reptilian_brain.html
      >
      > http://www.2012.com.au/Reptilian_brain2.html
      >
      > Maybe the 'reptilian brains' are responsible.
      >
      > Jim (a J from MA)

      As I read that article, I was thinking of Carl Sagan's book (first
      published in 1977), THE DRAGONS OF EDEN wherein he described the
      human triune brain.

      Here's a description of how the truine brain is composed according
      to Sagan:
      http://www.scinet.cc/articles/doe/dragonsofeden.html

      "The Brain and the Chariot," concerns the anatomical evolution of
      the human brain. Carl Sagan conceptualizes the human brain as three
      main evolutionary components: the R-complex, the limbic system, and
      the neocortex. The R-complex is considered the most basic and primal
      part of the brain, having evolved hundreds of millions of years ago.
      In fact, humans share the R-complex region with all other mammals
      and reptiles. It plays an important role in aggressive behavior,
      territoriality, ritual, and social hierarchies. Physiologically, it
      is involved in some of the most basic brain-regulated functions,
      such as breathing and control of heart rate. The limbic system,
      which encapsulates the R-complex, evolved around 150 million years
      ago, and is fully developed only in mammals. The limbic system is
      responsible for the strong and vivid emotions that are most often
      associated with humans, but are also characteristic of other
      primates and mammals. The newest region of the brain, having evolved
      only 10 million years ago, is the neocortex. The neocortex is only
      found in the "higher" mammals, including primates and humans. All
      advanced brain functions, including language, anticipation, vision,
      and fine motor skills, are processed and controlled by the
      neocortex.