Re: [CF] Dumb Question No. 1

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
      For the last 6 years I have relied on a tweed flat cap (from a hatter in
      Jermyn Street, Piccadilly ­ at about 45-50 pounds UK) and a waterproof
      version easily taken from my bag to replace the former (unwise to stint on
      expenses when buying outdoor clothes) In cold weather I have a peaked
      mountain walking cap. One of the reasons I don¹t like helmets is that the
      peak on them has never satisfactorily warded off rain from specs as the
      closer-to-the-eyes peaks of the other headgear protects my glasses from
      rain.

      The other trick I have learned but please don¹t pass it on or everyone will
      do it is to stop now and then under a tree or shelter and wipe one¹s glasses
      dry (:)). I notice that many cyclists are not immune form the car drivers
      perennial disease of being in a hurry ­ which is crazy in a city where the
      cyclist is king or queen and should behave as befits urban transport
      aristocracy! With care and courtesy for all other road users.

      Please don¹t be tempted into the realm of the weird wear. There¹s enough
      cycling fetish wear around already for leisure cyclists ­ which is not my
      bag (separating leisure from work in the standard hyper-capitalist fashion
      of out times).

      Simon

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
        >> The difference between walking in the rain and bicycling
        >> in the rain is that rain is blown into my face.

        =v= Yep, and plain old wind can be pretty bad without rain.
        There are "wraparound" bike glasses for this, and I think
        there's even some that go around existing eyeglasses. I
        ought to buy me some one day. :^|

        > Simply planting trees or providing veranda ways can provide
        > a good deal of protection.

        =v= Trees are totally wonderful for this (and for all sorts
        of things), but there's an aversion to planting them along
        paths on levees. I haven't researched this to find out why
        this is so, but it doesn't seem insurmountable, especially
        as levees may have small tree growth right within them!
        Ads below? Just ignore 'em.