8481Re: [CF] Environmental Patriots Fight Wal-Mart, Sprawl in Indiana

  • Rachel
    Nov 2, 2003
      I have to agree that violence against the construction company is not
      a good method. Too many construction companies are running on the
      edge and construction workers usually work or don't get paid. If
      union they get decent pay but not over much considering how hard they
      work, but if they don't work they get nothing.

      On this vein, even most WM employees are living from paycheck to
      paycheck and can't afford the loss of a job. I really think that
      education and boycott is the best method to use. I realize that this
      can be mind numbingly slow but every time violence is used it's not
      the owners/stockholders who are harmed but the workers. Included,
      again, in those that get hurt are often the construction company
      owners since these bid as low as possible to just get the job and
      aren't making as much money as most people think.

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Cheyanne & Randy <bayoubuddies@s...>
      wrote:
      > Just because you are in the minority doesn't mean you shouldn't
      speak
      > up. Speaking up opens the door to those who might not otherwise
      have
      > the courage to speak out against the violence in the name of the
      > environment. Sounds kind of like killing in the name of the Lord,
      > doesn't it? That's another thread, though :)
      >
      > I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think harming
      equipment
      > belonging to a construction company is the answer either. ducation
      is
      > probably the answer, but teaching through destruction is going to
      do no
      > good, I think.
      >

      > On Thursday, Oct 30, 2003, at 13:42 US/Central, Fitzsimmons, Diane
      > wrote:
      >

      > > Or maybe that's enough to some people. I am not going to go down
      the
      > > road
      > > again of whether vandalism is right or wrong, since I am in the
      > > minority of
      > > that. But, if I were to commit vandalism in the name of stopping
      WM
      > > and/or
      > > sprawl, wouldn't there be better, more direct ways to do it? Or
      is the
      > > construction company seen as a collaborator and therefore
      deserving of
      > > damage?
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic