5235Re: Air Conditioning, Cars, and livable places

  • John Snyder
    Jun 7, 2002
      Ken wrote:

      > I don't think the automobile per se has affected the Southern farmer
      > much; the pickup truck replaced the wagon.

      I enjoyed your entire post Ken. And I agree as a personal transportation
      choice the auto didn't cause too much change for a farmer whose work
      and home are the same place. However if we were to include tractors and
      harvesters as a part what the word "automobile" means then we look at
      the cause for a revolution occuring.

      Before the advent of mechanization a majority of any population
      will be employed in agriculture or another hands on means of
      acquiring food from the land. Thus prior to the 1930's in the US
      most humans were active producers who lived on farms rather than
      passive consumers who live in cities. In turn that change
      represents a very fundamental shift of shared values and

      John Snyder
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic