5210Re: Air Conditioning, Cars, and livable places

  • greenjeans43606
    Jun 3, 2002
      --- In CarFree@y..., Ken Kifer <kenkifer@k...> wrote:
      > John Snyder wrote:
      > Several sources reaffirm that the recent inventions
      > of the automobile and air conditioning resulted in
      > people having moved into regions previously
      > not fit to support large populations year round.

      > Ken Kifer replies:
      In the Southwest,
      > water shortage problems are severe, yet more people keep moving in

      What I don't understand is how a city like Las Vegas can exist, and
      yet it still is the fastest growing city in the US today! Since
      they're right in the middle of the desert, how much water do they
      need to bring in each day just to keep things from drying up?

      I did read an interesting article about growth in these regions and
      how it relates to transportation. The author wrote that one possible
      advantage of living in a fast-growing area was that transportation
      problems were more likely to be addressed, as opposed to cities on
      the decline, where the transportation systems becomes neglected. Any

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic