5205Re: [CF] Re: Air Conditioning, Cars, and livable places

  • pcooley@cybermesa.com
    Jun 2, 2002
      For what it's worth, I grew up in South Carolina, with its hot humid
      summers. During my childhood, we did not have air conditioning. Instead,
      our house had a large fan in the ceiling of the hallway which sucked warm
      air ot of the house, pulling presumably cooler air in through the windows.
      I remember nights of having difficulty going to sleep because I was so
      sweaty and uncomfortable, but none of my family ever died from the heat.
      My family eventually moved to one window unit, then two, and then central
      air-conditioning. It made the house more comfortable, but I did feel more
      cut off from my environment. I'd like to think I would not have air
      conditioning if I lived in the Southeast now, but I would certainly be an
      anamoly.

      Now I live in the Southwest, where it is hot but the humidity is almost
      non-existent, and that makes a world of difference. Last year, I installed
      ceiling fans because they looked like they were more efficient than the
      floor fans we had been using. Our bedroom ceiling fans are linked to
      thermostats which slow the speed of the fan as the room cools down.
      Ceiling fans are great, and I think they could replace most of the air
      conditioning in the South if people would give them a chance.

      Paul
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic