3323RE: [CarFree] Re: getting around in snow

  • Fahrion, Jason L
    Oct 3, 2001
      My home town and a few other communities around the world have
      begun Free Bikes programs, sponsored by one of the service
      clubs in conjunction with the citys' police department.

      Unclaimed stolen bicycles, or even donated ones, are refurbished
      if needed to working condition by volunteers. Temporary ownership
      of a bike is then transfered to anyone who asks for it. The
      only stipulation being that the vehicle be eventually
      returned. Custody can be a matter of hours or decades, depending
      on each individual's situation. If the cycle breaks down, it can
      one or get fixed. This tact seems to be running more smoothly than
      the previous Yellow Bikes program* which was plagued to extinction
      with vandalism. Evolution!

      The idea sure puts a nice new twist on the slogan, "to serve
      and to protect."

      very cool, I wonder if they have something like that here. do you have a
      list of participating cities? Is it one organized effort or simply
      different citties trying the same general thing?

      Jason Fahrion
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic