      ---- Begin Included Message ----
      From: "Car Busters" <carbusters@...>
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bikes Not Bombs <bnbrox@...>

      * * * Send Earthquake Relief to El Salvador * * *

      * * * Sunday, February 18, 2001 9:30 - 3:30 PM * * *

      In January a devastating earthquake struck El Salvador, causing major damage
      throughout the country and causing several mud slides on deforested
      hillsides over neighborhoods outside the capital city, San Salvador.
      Several hundred homes were completely destroyed, hundreds of people were
      killed and many more were injured.
      Bikes Not Bombs is sending a 40-foot container of aid on Feb. 18 We are
      working in partnership with CESTA, the Salvadoran Center for Appropriate
      Technology. CESTA has been fighting for several years now to reforest Las
      Colinas, one of the slopes that turned into a mud slide, killing hundreds.
      BNB will be sending both the emergency aid needed immediately by the quake
      victims and about 100 "recycled" bicycles, which CESTA will use in their
      on-going work, developing environmentally sustainable transportation in El
      Salvador.

      WE NEED YOUR HELP TO SORT, PACKAGE AND LOAD THE AID, BOTH ON FEB. 18 AND
      BEFORE (CALL 442-0004 FOR TIMES & DATES).

      We need the following help and emergency aid:
      - Help getting out the word and collecting up the aid. Let your
      church or community organization know.
      Donate a few hours and your vehicle to pick things up.
      - Donations to help cover the shipping costs, food and medicines
      - Clothing, clean and folded, summer items for all ages & sizes,
      light sweaters and jackets
      - Shoes, for all ages & sizes (no winter boots please!)
      - Kitchen/cooking equipment (pots & pans, plastic basins,
      dishes,utensils, "Tupperware")
      - Sheets, lighter weight blankets and towels
      - Tents, tarpaulins for emergency shelter
      - 1st Aid Supplies, Band-Aids, clean dressings, gauze,
      - Medicines : Anti-biotic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal ,
      anti-diarrhea
      - Simple, durable toys for children dealing with loss
      - Cots, lightweight mattresses
      - Clean 5 gallon plastic buckets (better with lids)
      - Dried Food products and canned food products, especially: rice,
      beans, powdered milk, canned fruits
      and vegetables etc.,
      - Plastic milk crates
      - Hammers, saws, basic carpentry tools
      - Shovels, rakes, wheelbarrows,
      - Clean empty cardboard boxes & packing tape

      Items should be well packed in boxes or bags and labeled clearly with the
      contents. (We'll translate labels into Spanish as needed.) You can drop off
      aid at the Bikes Not Bombs Bicycle Recycling & Youth Training Center in
      Roxbury (near the Jackson Square stop on the Orange Line). Please call for
      times when there will be someone here to receive your donations.

      Bikes Not Bombs 617-442-0004
      (see below for directions and general info on Bike Not Bombs)
      *******************All the regular info below************************
      BIKES NOT BOMBS, 59 Amory St. #103, Roxbury, MA 02119

      Phone: (617) 442-0004
      Fax: (617) 445-2439
      Email: bnbrox@...
      Web: www.bikesnotbombs.org

      SHOP HOURS:
      Tuesdays 3-7 pm
      Wednesdays 7-10 pm
      Saturdays 2-6 pm
      (We are currently on our Winter schedule. In the Spring we will again open
      on Fridays 3-7 pm)

      Bikes Not Bombs works to achieve peace and social justice through grassroots
      organizing and promoting community-based education and development projects
      involving recycled bicycles and other environmentally sustainable modes of
      transportation. We operate a full-service bike shop, where we repair
      customer bikes and sell refurbished bikes with a warranty. Titanium frames
      and new folding Montagues are also available. We train young people to
      become bicycle mechanics and community leaders. We teach adult mechanics
      classes, organize seasonal rides, and are always in need of volunteer help.
      We receive approximately 1,500 used bicycles and used parts per year. We
      ship about 1,000 of these to community bike projects in Nicaragua and El
      Salvador (we have also sent bikes and technical assistance to Haiti and the
      Dominican Republic). We use about 500 of these at our Roxbury Center; some
      are used in our youth Earn-A-Bike programs, and others are repaired by
      teenage mechanics in our Vocational Education program for sale in our bike
      shop.

      VOLUNTEERS:
      Every Wednesday night from 7-10 pm we have volunteer sessions for a range of
      projects, including sorting parts, flattening bikes for shipment, some light
      mechanics, and other organizational projects. No specific skills required -
      come on down! Your volunteer hours can be counted towards earning bikes or
      parts. We also need volunteers to teach, to load containers for overseas
      shipment, for office work, and lots more.
      ---- End Included Message ----