19758Re: [CF] Re: Digest Number 3060

    Mar 3, 2010
      On 2 Mar 2010 at 17:33, justice99645 wrote:

      > The loss of the Red Cars wasn't because some moustache-curling black hat
      > wearing CEO had an evil plan ala Roger Rabbit. Rather, it was because the
      > Red Cars hit the end of their serviceable life with no money available to
      > repair them, and a host of suburbs blocking any attempt to get them the
      > needed funds.
      >
      > The same story played out in cities around the world where GM was nowhere
      > in sight. It failed to play out in a couple of cases - such as Melbourne -

      I think your conception of "around the world" is largely restricted to
      "around the English speaking world" (and to a fair extent France).

      In many places on the mainland of Europe and in Japan trams never
      stoped running and they have been gradually improved over time by
      politicians who were far more sensible than the ones in the English
      speaking world (and much of France).

      Was it really accidental that all these politicians independently made
      the same mistakes at the same time? Sounds unlikely to me. That need
      not mean a conspiracy, though that is certainly a possibility, another
      possibility is a wave of cultural delusion to do with thinking
      everybody could and wanted to travel everywhere by car which swept them
      all up.

      --
      David Hansen, Edinburgh
      I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents