18841Re: [CF] folding bike recommendations?

  • Vic Gedris
    Jul 3, 2008
      On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:15 AM, vurt456 <mcgiansante@...> wrote:
      > I'm thinking about getting a folding bike. Does anyone have any
      > specific recommendations?

      Hi Michelle,

      It depends on what you want to use your folding bike for. There's
      actually a pretty huge variety of folding bike styles to suit many

      If you plan to use it for multi-modal commuting, you'll probably want
      something that folds very quickly and compactly. Check out the Bike
      Friday "Tikit" or the Brompton. Those are probably the ultimate bikes
      for this purpose.

      For travel, touring, and packing a bike up (rather than just quick
      folding) you might want to look more towards a Bike Friday "New World
      Tourist" or one of their other similar bikes.

      Dahon is probably the biggest seller of folding bikes. They have a
      huge variety available.

      Lots of other options too...especially if you just want a cheaper
      "beater" bike for getting around the neighbourhood and folding up for
      easier storage at home. If there's a local bike shop that specializes
      in folders, drop by and have a look.

      My own folding bike experience is with my Bike Friday "New World
      Tourist". It's not cheap...but make a great bike for commuting,
      travel (I've taken it on work trips and tours, where I packed it up in
      its suitcase), towing a trailer-load of groceries, etc..etc.. It's
      not the most elegant bike for folding up to take on thus bus though.

      Vic Gedris
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic