      From: Justice McPherson <JusticeZero@...>
      To: CarFree@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:14:39 AM
      Subject: [CF] Re: Yahoo! Groups: Welcome to CarFree. Visit today!

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups .com, "John A. Ardelli" <gelfling@.. .> wrote:

      > Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't live in "a tiny homogenous
      > remote frozen fishing village in the Maritimes." You're describing
      > places like Main-a-Dieu or Broughton; I live in Sydney.

      Well, recognize that the guy is American. Americans have an amazingly
      excessive sense of personal danger. They may live in cities safer than
      most of their peers elsewhere in the world by far, but they are
      convinced that danger lurks around every corner. I always noted this
      before visiting overseas and having professors remark on how their
      American colleagues would always lead off by demanding to know where
      in the city was safe. 'Safe? Well, it's all safe. *thinks a few
      minutes* I don't know, I suppose just don't do anything ridiculous to
      the drug dealers in suchandsuch neighborhood, and don't forget to lock
      your door in eastern overthere." This is, by the way, a major reason
      why Americans are dying of obesity and car wrecks; they'd rather hide
      in a car than risk the mindblowingly remote risk of crime.