18492Re: Velo Cape Breton

  • Tom Frost Jr.
    Feb 4, 2008
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Ardelli" <gelfling@...>
      wrote:

      > On Dec 5, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Tom Frost Jr. wrote:
      >
      > > "Bicycle clubs" typically consist largely of yuppies whose bikes
      > > travel most of their miles, secure but at an illegal speed, in
      their
      > > Thule cartop racks.
      >
      > "Typically," yes, but:
      >
      > > Unless you already happen to know about a club that's an
      exception to
      > > that general rule . . .
      >
      > http://www.velocapebreton.com
      >
      > Though we DO have our "sporting" and "recreational" cyclists, we
      have
      > cyclists of ALL types in our ranks. When you get right down to it,
      > Velo Cape Breton is more of a social club of people who share a
      common
      > interest in cycling rather than a "bicycle club" in the traditional
      > sense. :)
      >
      > They're also strong advocates of increasing bicycling in Cape
      Breton,
      > which is a step in the right direction as well. ;)
      >
      > John A. Ardelli
      > http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com

      TF: My bad; there's probably no such thing as a "typical" bike club.

      Nor does being a "recreational" cyclist necessarily make one a member
      of the Thule car-top rack crowd nor any other such despised-by-the-
      CarFree-list-incrowd faction of the cycling community. For example,
      although my latest multi-day ride (a 170-mile loop deliberately timed
      to include last Friday's ice storm in Tioga County, N.Y.) arguably
      had no transportational purpose whatsoever and was therefore
      a "recreational" ride, I'd left all of my motor vehicles at home as
      usual and am therefore exempt from being considered a member of the
      Thule cartop rack crowd. Nor is it likely that anyone (other than
      perhaps Bob Matter) looking at the photo of me at the end of it
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarFree/photos/view/785b?b=13 would
      think that I'm _any_ kind of "typical recreational" cyclist.

      Nor, for that matter, does even owning a Thule car-top rack
      necessarily make one a member of what I call the Thule car-top rack
      crowd. I actually do own a couple of Thule car-top racks! I got them
      in my flea market dealings years ago, but I've relatively recently
      thought of an appropriate-for-even-me use for one of them. Stay tuned
      for a report on my mounting of it when I get around to doing so.

      - Tom Frost Jr.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic