18383Re: [CF] Introduction: Kate

  • fred_dot_u
    Dec 2, 2007
      Kate, I'm also a commuting cyclist, although I have no regular route. I
      do home pc service and go where my clients call. I like the variety of
      such travels and occasionally it means riding in dark conditions.

      Early morning is the most enjoyable, and usually what I would consider
      safer, but with sufficient lighting, late day riding isn't a problem.
      You can't have too much lighting or reflectivity, in my opinion.

      On the personal confrontation aspect, I would expect your first reaction
      to someone accosting you would be to angle away from them, perhaps
      further into the roadway. If the person readjusts his "trajectory" to
      continue to threaten you, you might begin to shout and then aim directly
      at the assailant. Some people might also have quick access to the air
      pump, but even a light weight at 15-20 mph will take out a pedestrian if
      needed.

      Let's hope that won't be needed, because you can get away with your
      speed and agility. If you travel the same area often enough, you'll
      begin to see the same people often enough to wave hello and make passing
      friends. Those same people may also be of assistance if needed.

      It's not something one hears of very often and I've not heard of
      anything like it in my general area, so I'm hopeful that you'll find
      your dark-time trips to be just as enjoyable as mine have been.

      fred

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Kathryn <kathrynepope@...> wrote:

      > David, thank you for your response -- and your encouragement to bring
      up a
      > question. Here's something that's been on my mind:
      >
      > As I get into the idea of biking at night (around 11pm on some nights,
      when
      > I work late), my friends and family have suddenly gotten protective of
      me.
      > While I am in an urban environment, I don't live and work in
      particularly
      > dangerous neighborhoods -- and my argument is that, on a bike, I can
      move
      > fast (am always moving) and am therefore not much of a target, as long
      as I
      > ride safely with reflective clothes and a bike light. This doesn't
      seem to
      > be much comfort to them. However, I'm committed to trying out a
      car-free
      > life for a 6-month trial, starting this week. Is there anything I can
      do or
      > say to ease the minds of those around me? Am I being naive to think
      that, as
      > a young-(ish) woman, I can be out at night without inviting danger?
      >
      > I'm planning to make my first night trip Monday night -- and am
      curious
      > about any tips you might have!
      >
      > Thanks in advance--
      > Kate.
      >

      > On Dec 2, 2007 2:29 AM, David Hansen davidh@... wrote:
      >
      > > On 30 Nov 2007 at 21:43, Kathryn wrote:
      > >
      > > > One thing that
      > > > has challenged me is having to work at night several times a week.
      In my