18380Re: [CF] Introduction: Kate

  • Kathryn
    Dec 2, 2007
      David, thank you for your response -- and your encouragement to bring up a
      question. Here's something that's been on my mind:

      As I get into the idea of biking at night (around 11pm on some nights, when
      I work late), my friends and family have suddenly gotten protective of me.
      While I am in an urban environment, I don't live and work in particularly
      dangerous neighborhoods -- and my argument is that, on a bike, I can move
      fast (am always moving) and am therefore not much of a target, as long as I
      ride safely with reflective clothes and a bike light. This doesn't seem to
      be much comfort to them. However, I'm committed to trying out a car-free
      life for a 6-month trial, starting this week. Is there anything I can do or
      say to ease the minds of those around me? Am I being naive to think that, as
      a young-(ish) woman, I can be out at night without inviting danger?

      I'm planning to make my first night trip Monday night -- and am curious
      about any tips you might have!

      Thanks in advance--
      Kate.

      --
      Kathryn Pope
      Bridge Program Director/ Writing Instructor