18171[CF] Re: Carfree for three years.

  • sueb1997
    Sep 3, 2007
      Yes, he described near the end of the book his decisions to begin
      speaking again, first, and then a few years later to resume use of
      motorized vehicles. He didn't offer detailed explanations about the
      reasoning behind his decisions, just that they didn't seem to serve
      him anymore, symbolically speaking. I would have liked to hear a
      bit more about it from him. I admit I was disappointed when he
      returned to cars, but I certainly can't say that his boycott was
      pointless. Life today is full of all kinds of compromises,
      realistically speaking, and he still held a much harder line than
      nearly anyone else. As a friend on another list likes to
      say, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

      Western Great Basin

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Sahar <bobalinga@...> wrote:
      > Saw an interview with him the other day and he now talks and rides
      (and owns) cars. Hedidn't say why he changed his mind.
      > sueb1997 <sueb1997@...> wrote:
      > I just finished reading a book that I think would be of interest
      > you and perhaps to many on CarFree.
      > It's called Planetwalker, by John Francis.
      > Francis was a young man in the San Francisco area in the early 70s
      > when he saw the effect to the Bay of an oil spill. He decided to
      > stop riding in motor vehicles as a response, as an expression of
      > awareness that all who use motor vehicles have some responsibility
      > for the environmental effects of such spills.
      > After a few years of walking instead of driving/passengering, he
      > so tired of having to explain to people why he did what he did, he
      > also decided to stop talking. He ended up not talking for
      > years and not riding in motor vehicles for more than 20 years!
      > Some parts of his story are rather fantastic, and I know a fellow
      > who knew Francis personally who thinks he's a bit off the deep
      > but regardless, I found his story to be inspiring.
      > To relate this directly to your situation, he indicates a
      > amount of acceptance by others as he proceeds with his decisions.
      > He makes presentations to schools (using sign language or miming,
      > and sometimes having a friend "translate" his miming), he even
      > finishes college and proceeds on to both a Master's Degree and
      > later a Ph.D., all while not talking and not travelling in motor
      > vehicles. The amount of acceptance he describes finding is rather
      > inspiring, to me.
      > Anyway, you (and others) might find it an enjoyable read.
      > Sue
      > Western Great Basin
      > --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Wilson" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I'm new to this group, so hullo!
      > >
      > > I'm just wondering whether anyone else on this list has decided
      > go
      > > COMPLETELY carfree? I did so, three years ago -- I haven't
      > > foot in a car since. It makes for some interesting conversations,
      > > mainly, and a little bit of awkwardness around friends who offer
      > > lifts sometimes (I ride or walk or catch buses, and never have
      > > trouble getting anywhere). It 'limits' what I can do and where I
      > can
      > > go, or so I'm told: I find I can do everything that I want.
      > >
      > > The biggest issue I am facing is this: I've just got a new job,
      > > rather conservative IT company, and I know they're going to ask
      > > go in a car one of these days, and I just don't know how to
      > the
      > > subject! I just get the impression that they'll think me utterly
      > > weird, and make things difficult. Has anyone had any experience
      > with
      > > this sort of thing?
      > >
      > > Thanks! And hurrah to no-cars! :-)
      > >
      > > -- Sam.
      > >
      > Problem? Email: CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > "Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and
      whoever has food must do likewise."