18159Carfree for three years.

  • Sam Wilson
    Aug 31, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm new to this group, so hullo!

      I'm just wondering whether anyone else on this list has decided to go
      COMPLETELY carfree? I did so, three years ago -- I haven't stepped
      foot in a car since. It makes for some interesting conversations,
      mainly, and a little bit of awkwardness around friends who offer me
      lifts sometimes (I ride or walk or catch buses, and never have any
      trouble getting anywhere). It 'limits' what I can do and where I can
      go, or so I'm told: I find I can do everything that I want.

      The biggest issue I am facing is this: I've just got a new job, in a
      rather conservative IT company, and I know they're going to ask me to
      go in a car one of these days, and I just don't know how to broach the
      subject! I just get the impression that they'll think me utterly
      weird, and make things difficult. Has anyone had any experience with
      this sort of thing?

      Thanks! And hurrah to no-cars! :-)

      -- Sam.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic