16972Re: [CF] Article on carless family

  • Tom Frost Jr.
    Jun 2, 2006
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Riin Gill" <riin@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, May 31, 2006 6:03 am, David Hansen wrote:
      > > On 31 May 2006 at 5:42, whistling_lass wrote:
      [snip]
      > >> "In my last relationship, [my girlfriend] asked me, 'Are you ever
      > >> gonna drive?' She was like, 'I don't think I can deal with it.' "
      > >>
      > >> They broke up.
      > >
      > > She was definitely not worth it.
      >
      > A friend of mine told me recently she didn't want to be my friend
      anymore.
      > One of the things she mentioned was me not driving. I'm still
      trying to
      > sort out what happened. We had been friends for 27 years.

      TF: I recently weeded out a friend of that variety in _two_ _minutes_
      instead of 27 years, proving to myself the viability of a plan that
      I'd developed specifically for weeding out that variety.

      This was a 47-year-old widow who happened to be the first person that
      I contacted on one of those internet meat-racks. She was extremely
      nice on e-mail for a few weeks and seemed to be on my wavelength
      about things, and then she finally proposed that our first date
      consist of me coming to her place, in Scranton 20 miles away from me,
      to help her go through her late husband's things in preparation for a
      yard sale. I said okay, and that when she meets me at a McDonald's in
      her neck of the woods to give me directions the rest of the way to
      her place, I'd be the guy near a bicycle, because I'd be leaving my
      motor vehicles at home and riding my bike down as part of my strategy
      of controlling my too-easy temptation to take things that she'd
      probably be throwing out, as I'm a packrat whose barn is already
      overflowing. The other, more important reason, and which I _didn't_
      say, of why I was cycling down rather than motoring, was that
      although my currently-most-legal motor vehicle is of quite a chick-
      magnet variety, I specifically _don't_ _want_ the _kind_ that it
      takes a thing like that to attract.

      As it turned out, my weeding-out-of-Thule-cartop-rack-crowd-types
      strategy succeeded in flying colors. As I waited for over an hour at
      her house, with her reneging from showing up there (I did check the
      paper the next day and there was no accident on the Scranton
      Expressway), it gradually dawned on me that, after she'd met me for
      two minutes at the McDonald's giving me the (correct!) directions to
      her house, she had not only left McDonald's without looking at me;
      she had also turned around real quick and come back into the
      McDonald's and spent several minutes buying something to take out,
      and then taken it out, all without looking at me - which I guess she
      had intended as a signal to me that I could save time by tearing up
      the directions to her house! Then it dawned on me that since, unlike
      yuppie cyclists, I dress for my destination (and who knows how dusty
      of rooms we were going to be sorting out the junk in), she was
      disappointed that I didn't fit whatever her stereotype was of what a
      cyclist should look like.

      My only regrets are that I didn't have a fresher T-shirt and haircut,
      because if I had, then I'd _know_ that she also didn't like my just-
      from-20-miles sweat smell which, like my lack of yuppie clothes, I
      _won't_ apologize for.

      - Tom Frost Jr.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic