16791Re: [CF] Textbook more-carfree-than-you-or-me-crowd obfuscation

  • whistling_lass
    May 3, 2006
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "David Hansen" <davidh@...> wrote:

      << Parts of the USA have far better provision for taking non-folding
      bikes on buses than the UK, if that is a problem could you campaign
      for such racks to be fitted? Could you get a folder? >>

      Our buses have racks on them that carry two bikes, and if they are
      full you can even take your bike inside if there aren't any people in
      the wheelchair bays (but that's at the driver's discretion, and some
      are assholes about it). I just saw a sign that they will be upgrading
      the racks to accomodate three bikes.

      No, it's a fear issue. I get out late at night and part of my trip is
      a windy country road with a bit of gravel on the side and a drop-off
      that people drive fast on, and the other part of my trip is the bike
      trail where there are no cars, but it's not lit, there are trees
      bordering it on both sides, and I just don't feel safe.

      It's possible that I could alter my trip and take only well-lit roads
      with bike lanes. I'll have to scout out the area more.

      Marcy
    • Show all 31 messages in this topic