10833Re: [CF] This is London?

  • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
    Oct 1, 2004
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Simon Baddeley
      wrote:
      > ....The trouble with motorised road travel is that swathes of
      landscape for
      > miles around are blighted by the more or less constant tearing
      howl of
      > traffic. ...... For some this is a
      > sort of urban leitmotif which they¹d miss if it disappeared. To me
      it¹s.....
      > Drivers don¹t hear this sound, ....

      I just walked to the post office in Fishponds, Bristol. It's about 2miles alongside a busy city road. 1 lane in each direction, lots of cars parked on either side. My 9 yo was chatting away but I couldn't hear a damm word he said cos of the traffic noise. It wasn't even going fast cos the speed limit is 30 mph and being Bristol it was heavily congested. When I was little I could chat to my mum as we walked places. Not even that long ago either.

      But to avoid this noise we'd have to move somewhere isolated and rural. And then we'd need a car. Spoiling what we are seeking.

      Shyrley