10428Re: There is hope

  • M. Barbee
    Aug 1, 2004
      That does sound good. It reminds me of when I was in 1st - 3rd
      grade. I begged and begged my mother to let me walk to school
      alone. Thinking back, it was probably more out of a sense that I
      wanted some independence than not wanting go in a car. My mom drove
      us mostly and walked with us sometimes in good weather. But I wanted
      to be able to just walk to school without my mother. So in the third
      grade, she finally got brave enough to let me and my two younger
      sisters walk the half mile to and from school alone. But she still
      often met us coming home a few blocks from home. I don't want to say
      unfortunately, because there are some advantages to rural life, but
      the next year we moved to a rural area 5 miles from school on a two
      lane country road with no sidewalks and 60 mph traffic. We took the
      bus from then on. Later in my life, my mother told us she was very
      afraid to let us walk alone and that is why she met us coming home.
      That is very understandable considering some of the things that go on
      today. I suppose kids that age generally have plenty of energy to
      walk or run distances of a half mile or mile no problem. The
      question is whether it will be safe for them to go alone and if not
      whether their parents can/will take time to go with them.

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "hillel_zs" <hseltzer@l...> wrote:
      > Last night I overheard my two oldest sons (8 and 6 years old)
      talking
      > to each other about their day. The oldest goes to camp a short
      walk
      > from his grandmother's house and often walks there afterward, but
      > yesterday my wife picked him up with the car. The camp that the
      > younger one attends went swimming at a private pool around the
      corner
      > from our house, so he walked home on his own. The older seemed
      upset
      > when he said to his brother, "No fair! You got to walk home and
      Mommy
      > picked me up in the car."
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic