10299Re: [CF] Dumb Question No. 1

  • Simon Baddeley
    Jul 1, 2004
      For the last 6 years I have relied on a tweed flat cap (from a hatter in
      Jermyn Street, Piccadilly ­ at about 45-50 pounds UK) and a waterproof
      version easily taken from my bag to replace the former (unwise to stint on
      expenses when buying outdoor clothes) In cold weather I have a peaked
      mountain walking cap. One of the reasons I don¹t like helmets is that the
      peak on them has never satisfactorily warded off rain from specs as the
      closer-to-the-eyes peaks of the other headgear protects my glasses from
      rain.

      The other trick I have learned but please don¹t pass it on or everyone will
      do it is to stop now and then under a tree or shelter and wipe one¹s glasses
      dry (:)). I notice that many cyclists are not immune form the car drivers
      perennial disease of being in a hurry ­ which is crazy in a city where the
      cyclist is king or queen and should behave as befits urban transport
      aristocracy! With care and courtesy for all other road users.

      Please don¹t be tempted into the realm of the weird wear. There¹s enough
      cycling fetish wear around already for leisure cyclists ­ which is not my
      bag (separating leisure from work in the standard hyper-capitalist fashion
      of out times).

      Simon