Thanks to all for the info

  • youhavwhat
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2001
      I already had an FS4000 on order when I found this group. It is very
      significant that so many of you had trouble with software unless what
      happened automatically was what you needed. I plan to cancel the
      order and make sure the dealer and the Canon rep know why. I can get
      good scans for about five bucks each and do not need the frustration
      of trying to get quirky and buggy software to work in some barely
      tolerable fashion. I am a retired Computer Science prof and, having
      had enough of enduring software bugs for a living, refuse to pay
      sloppy vendors for the privilege of doing it.

      From what bounces around elsewhere on the net, it sounds like the
      Nikon LS4000 ED has even worse software problems on Windoze systems
      than the FS4000, but lots of Mac weenies really love it. I want to
      use GB's of RAM, but that means getting Win XP if using a PC. I hear
      too many tales of woe about XP having the usual problems we are all
      so tired of with new versions of Microslop software. Mac OS's are
      said to do pretty well out of the box. Thus it looks like a Mac and
      a Nikon LS4000 or 8000 are in order unless something scares me off.
      I will probably wait until after Mac World and the expected
      announcement of the G5 Macs to see what kind of deal I can get on a
      dual-processor G4. I'm single, so nobody minds if I put $7000 into
      digital imaging toys and spend a few more years driving a 1991 car
      and sitting on a 1975 sofa.

      I will continue to lurk here in the hope of learning someday that the
      FS4000 has an interface that will work satisfactorily on my Windoze
      platforms. Several of you folks sound like you know what you are
      talking about, and it's good to have this source of information and
      interaction. Thanks!
    • Benjamin Kanarek
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
        on 10/12/01 6:52, youhavwhat at YouHavWHAT@... wrote:

        > I already had an FS4000 on order when I found this group. It is very
        > significant that so many of you had trouble with software unless what
        > happened automatically was what you needed. I plan to cancel the
        > order and make sure the dealer and the Canon rep know why. I can get
        > good scans for about five bucks each and do not need the frustration
        > of trying to get quirky and buggy software to work in some barely
        > tolerable fashion. I am a retired Computer Science prof and, having
        > had enough of enduring software bugs for a living, refuse to pay
        > sloppy vendors for the privilege of doing it.
        >
        > From what bounces around elsewhere on the net, it sounds like the
        > Nikon LS4000 ED has even worse software problems on Windoze systems
        > than the FS4000, but lots of Mac weenies really love it. I want to
        > use GB's of RAM, but that means getting Win XP if using a PC. I hear
        > too many tales of woe about XP having the usual problems we are all
        > so tired of with new versions of Microslop software. Mac OS's are
        > said to do pretty well out of the box. Thus it looks like a Mac and
        > a Nikon LS4000 or 8000 are in order unless something scares me off.
        > I will probably wait until after Mac World and the expected
        > announcement of the G5 Macs to see what kind of deal I can get on a
        > dual-processor G4. I'm single, so nobody minds if I put $7000 into
        > digital imaging toys and spend a few more years driving a 1991 car
        > and sitting on a 1975 sofa.
        >
        > I will continue to lurk here in the hope of learning someday that the
        > FS4000 has an interface that will work satisfactorily on my Windoze
        > platforms. Several of you folks sound like you know what you are
        > talking about, and it's good to have this source of information and
        > interaction. Thanks!

        I totally understand. I was about to sell my scanner until yesterday when I
        purchased Hamrick VUE SCan 7.3 software for 40.00. I now own a new scanner
        in effect. The best Hardware is only as good as what the software can
        extract from it. It is utterly amazing. Go to hamrick.com. MultiPass
        Capable & MultiPixal Capable. I also am a Music producer. Stick a shitty
        Music software in your G4 and see how poor the resolution can be. But put
        Logic Audio Platinum in and voila. New computer.

        Ben

        Here is a sample of one of my photos in Vogue for Van Cleef & Arpels.
      • youhavwhat
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2001
          --- In CanoScanFS4000@y..., Benjamin Kanarek <benjikan@n...> wrote:
          > on 10/12/01 6:52, youhavwhat at YouHavWHAT@a... wrote:

          > > I already had an FS4000 on order when I found this group. It is
          very
          > > significant that so many of you had trouble with software unless
          what
          > > happened automatically was what you needed. I plan to cancel the
          > > order and make sure the dealer and the Canon rep know why.
          <*SNIP*>

          > I totally understand. I was about to sell my scanner until
          yesterday when I
          > purchased Hamrick VUE SCan 7.3 software for 40.00. I now own a new
          scanner
          > in effect

          <*CHOMP*>> Ben

          From one of your other postings, it appears that you may be getting
          those wonderful results with some other type of scanner. Have you
          actually scanned slides AND NEGS on the FS4000 with VueScan 7.3?

          A friend scanned several recent Provia 100 slides and 10-year-old
          Ektar 25 negs for me on his FS4000 with Hamrick software about ten
          days ago. The slides did pretty well, but the neg scans were
          useless. Especially areas of flat light color (e.g. sky) were covered
          with incredible amounts of garbage. Sure, it mostly originated in
          actual dust and scratches, but the actual negs under a loupe are not
          nearly as bad as the scans. The crap also is rendered TWICE -- in
          black and white images slightly offset from one another. Some of it
          is so bad that no reasonable amount of Gaussian Blur will mush it
          out. I also found lots of what appears to be artifact in shadow
          areas - speckles that do not show on scans at the 1600dpi native (not
          interpolated) max res of my Epson Perfection 1650 Photo Scanner.

          I would be really happy to learn that downloading the new VueScan
          would make the FS4000 work right with negs, especially in minimizing
          the effect of the inevitable minor blemishes and avoiding artifact in
          shadow areas. Can anybody here attest to this?

          I'm glad this is just a hobby.
        • Benjamin Kanarek
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2001
            on 11/12/01 8:51, youhavwhat at YouHavWHAT@... wrote:

            > --- In CanoScanFS4000@y..., Benjamin Kanarek <benjikan@n...> wrote:
            >> on 10/12/01 6:52, youhavwhat at YouHavWHAT@a... wrote:
            >
            >>> I already had an FS4000 on order when I found this group. It is
            > very
            >>> significant that so many of you had trouble with software unless
            > what
            >>> happened automatically was what you needed. I plan to cancel the
            >>> order and make sure the dealer and the Canon rep know why.
            > <*SNIP*>
            >
            >> I totally understand. I was about to sell my scanner until
            > yesterday when I
            >> purchased Hamrick VUE SCan 7.3 software for 40.00. I now own a new
            > scanner
            >> in effect
            >
            > <*CHOMP*>> Ben
            >

            > From one of your other postings, it appears that you may be getting
            > those wonderful results with some other type of scanner. Have you
            > actually scanned slides AND NEGS on the FS4000 with VueScan 7.3?
            >
            > A friend scanned several recent Provia 100 slides and 10-year-old
            > Ektar 25 negs for me on his FS4000 with Hamrick software about ten
            > days ago. The slides did pretty well, but the neg scans were
            > useless. Especially areas of flat light color (e.g. sky) were covered
            > with incredible amounts of garbage. Sure, it mostly originated in
            > actual dust and scratches, but the actual negs under a loupe are not
            > nearly as bad as the scans. The crap also is rendered TWICE -- in
            > black and white images slightly offset from one another. Some of it
            > is so bad that no reasonable amount of Gaussian Blur will mush it
            > out. I also found lots of what appears to be artifact in shadow
            > areas - speckles that do not show on scans at the 1600dpi native (not
            > interpolated) max res of my Epson Perfection 1650 Photo Scanner.
            >
            > I would be really happy to learn that downloading the new VueScan
            > would make the FS4000 work right with negs, especially in minimizing
            > the effect of the inevitable minor blemishes and avoiding artifact in
            > shadow areas. Can anybody here attest to this?
            >
            > I'm glad this is just a hobby.

            Yes in fact I have I have placed my Minolta Scan Speed F-2800 up for sale.
            But since purchasing Vuescan 7.3 I'm not quite sure if I want to. I may
            however if the right price comes in. As to neg scans with VueScan I did a
            4xmultipixal scan with Supra 100. The initial brut scan was a bit flat but
            it was incredibly more detailed and had more subtle gradation in the shadow
            areas. I put my scanner up for sale because I thought it did not resolve
            the greater demands of high contrast photos. When I would scan I would get
            evedent bands of color zones. Two days after putting it up for sale I tried
            the demo version of VueScan 7.3. Day and Night. My high contrast photos
            need multi sample scans one thing the Minolta software couldn't do. I went
            ahead and purchased the software as a result. If I sell it I will purchase
            the Canon. If I don't I'll stay with a 2820dpi 3.6Density 36bit scanner for
            now.
          • Benjamin Kanarek
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2001
              on 11/12/01 8:51, youhavwhat at YouHavWHAT@... wrote:

              > --- In CanoScanFS4000@y..., Benjamin Kanarek <benjikan@n...> wrote:
              >> on 10/12/01 6:52, youhavwhat at YouHavWHAT@a... wrote:
              >
              >>> I already had an FS4000 on order when I found this group. It is
              > very
              >>> significant that so many of you had trouble with software unless
              > what
              >>> happened automatically was what you needed. I plan to cancel the
              >>> order and make sure the dealer and the Canon rep know why.
              > <*SNIP*>
              >
              >> I totally understand. I was about to sell my scanner until
              > yesterday when I
              >> purchased Hamrick VUE SCan 7.3 software for 40.00. I now own a new
              > scanner
              >> in effect
              >
              > <*CHOMP*>> Ben
              >

              > From one of your other postings, it appears that you may be getting
              > those wonderful results with some other type of scanner. Have you
              > actually scanned slides AND NEGS on the FS4000 with VueScan 7.3?
              >
              > A friend scanned several recent Provia 100 slides and 10-year-old
              > Ektar 25 negs for me on his FS4000 with Hamrick software about ten
              > days ago. The slides did pretty well, but the neg scans were
              > useless. Especially areas of flat light color (e.g. sky) were covered
              > with incredible amounts of garbage. Sure, it mostly originated in
              > actual dust and scratches, but the actual negs under a loupe are not
              > nearly as bad as the scans. The crap also is rendered TWICE -- in
              > black and white images slightly offset from one another. Some of it
              > is so bad that no reasonable amount of Gaussian Blur will mush it
              > out. I also found lots of what appears to be artifact in shadow
              > areas - speckles that do not show on scans at the 1600dpi native (not
              > interpolated) max res of my Epson Perfection 1650 Photo Scanner.
              >
              > I would be really happy to learn that downloading the new VueScan
              > would make the FS4000 work right with negs, especially in minimizing
              > the effect of the inevitable minor blemishes and avoiding artifact in
              > shadow areas. Can anybody here attest to this?
              >
              > I'm glad this is just a hobby.

              > New scan with VueScan 7.3

            • BJ Nicholls
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2001
                >>The crap also is rendered TWICE -- in
                black and white images slightly offset from one another. Some of it
                is so bad that no reasonable amount of Gaussian Blur will mush it
                out. I also found lots of what appears to be artifact in shadow
                areas - speckles that do not show on scans at the 1600dpi native (not
                interpolated) max res of my Epson Perfection 1650 Photo Scanner.<<

                This is (perhaps was, I haven't had time to fully test 7.3.1) a bug
                that was introduced into Vuescan in one of the many recent updates.
                7.3.1 fixes a bug that caused the carrier to run to the end of its travel,
                scan half of frame 6 and end up in the eject position if you used
                the preview more than once. I've found several bugs in the last series
                of revisions and I don't know which still remain or if there are new ones.

                The failed IR cleaning you saw was due to a misalignment of the alpha
                channel containing the IR image with the RGB channels. When the cleaning
                routine is applied, the light spots that were offset from the dust result
                from that misalignment.

                In 7.3.1, my initial test scans seem to show this problem to be fixed,
                but it could be a lucky couple of scans. The misalignment varied from
                scan to scan.

                I had other transport errors that I hope were related to the problem
                Ed fixed in the latest release. I've also had raw scan files show
                exposure and color variations - something that isn't supposed to
                happen to the "raw" image data. I hope Ed is settling down from his
                recent creative spurt and that he'll focus on fixing any remaining bugs.

                Remember that Vuescan can be working fine on some scanners but can
                be disfunctional with others. Don't take someone's happy experience
                with a Minolta scanner as evidence that it will work perfectly with
                the FS4000. I haven't had the hours to spend on 7.3.1 to check it out
                even for the problems I knew existed in slightly earlier versions.

                With 7.3 Ed did a simple change to the control panel that improves it
                a lot. Now the preview or scan image window is visible while you have
                access to the scan settings tabs. This is much better for evaluating
                your settings as you work with Vuescan. The window resize has a bug in
                this version. If you enlarge the window the preview doesn't automatically
                scale (it did in 7.3 but doesn't in 7.3.1). The window size isn't preserved
                after you shut down the program as it should be. This is a minor bug, but
                typical of what you might run into at this state of the program.

                BJ
              • youhavwhat
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2001
                  --- In CanoScanFS4000@y..., "BJ Nicholls" <bjnicholls@q...> wrote:
                  >>The crap also is rendered TWICE -- in
                  >>black and white images slightly offset from one another.
                  >>Some of it is so bad that no reasonable amount of Gaussian
                  >>Blur will mush it out

                  > This is (perhaps was, I haven't had time to fully test 7.3.1)
                  > a bug that was introduced into Vuescan in one of the many
                  > recent updates.<*SNIP*>
                  > The failed IR cleaning you saw was due to a misalignment of
                  > the alpha channel containing the IR image with the RGB
                  > channels. When the cleaning routine is applied, the light
                  > spots that were offset from the dust result from that
                  > misalignment.
                  >
                  > In 7.3.1, my initial test scans seem to show this problem
                  > to be fixed, but it could be a lucky couple of scans. The
                  > misalignment varied from scan to scan.

                  Thanks for a most informative and helpful posting!

                  I hope all knowledgeable group members who can provide good info
                  about getting the FS4000 to work will also post it here, because I
                  know of others besides me who might buy this scanner if anybody ever
                  released a decent driver for it. I will also pass on your info to
                  the friend who is suffering from this offset IR butchery.

                  > Remember that Vuescan can be working fine on some scanners
                  > but can be disfunctional with others. Don't take someone's
                  > happy experience with a Minolta scanner as evidence that it
                  > will work perfectly with the FS4000.

                  Precisely my point. It took a bit of reading to catch on that the
                  paeans for VueScan 7.3 were based on experiences with a completely
                  different scanner by a user who had never actually used the FS4000.

                  Thanks again for taking the time to provide the kind of info we need!
                • BJ Nicholls
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 11, 2001
                    >>Precisely my point. It took a bit of reading to catch on that the
                    paeans for VueScan 7.3 were based on experiences with a completely
                    different scanner by a user who had never actually used the FS4000.

                    Thanks again for taking the time to provide the kind of info we need!<<

                    As I run this version through its paces I'll be sure to pass along
                    any discoveries I make. I rarely scan negatives, so we'll have to
                    rely on other Vuescan users to check out the application with
                    their emulsions.

                    BJ