Great find! 400/185C Vase

  • rexjocelyn
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2012
      Yesterday, I was walking through an antique store at closing time when I spotted a 400/185C vase. This is a small vase with a domed foot. I have both of the other small vases which are a little shorter (one with bigger balls and one with smaller balls around the feet) but I didn't have this one with the domed foot. It was in excellent condition and was marked $39.95. I picked it up and was looking at it and the owner of the store said she was going out of business and would take $15 for it. I happily paid the $15 and went home and looked in my books to see if I had done well. Well, I had done very, very well.

      It was totally by chance that we even went in the store as it was getting close to 5:00pm and we assumed everything was shutting down. You just never know what you are going to find.

      We were actually on our way to an Amish quilt auction here in Oklahoma and got about 45 miles away from it and realized it had been the weekend before. We were very disappointed and that's when we just decided to stop in some small towns and check out some antique stores.

      I had a nice day with my family and found a great treasure. Actually, everyone in the family came home with a great item (or two).

      Also, this week, I bought a 7 1/2 square bowl on e-bay. I have had the two smaller square bowls for probably at least 8 years and have just never had the chance to buy the larger bowl to complete the set. When I saw it on e-bay, I was determined to complete the set. It came in the mail this week and finished off that trio perfectly.

      Have a great week everyone! Rex
    • William Case
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 16, 2012
        Amazing find Rex!!   Congrats!!

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 21, 2012
          Wow, that is a find!  I just looked it up in my Garrison book -- very pretty piece.  I almost never find Candlewick in shops near me any more, although I did stumble on a very nice condition 75V cupped plate at a yard sale last month -- for $1.00 !  Almost all of the antique stores have disappeared around here; we used to have dozens and now there are only a handful.

          Congratulations to Rex on your find!

          Janet
          janet.bruman@...