A good buy!

  • rexjocelyn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2010
      We were at a small rural estate auction a couple of weeks ago. There was no Candlewick listed in the sale; however, they brought some dirty old boxes out of the cellar. My wife noticed the lid to a 400/110 candy dish in one box and in another box was the base. They were both terribly dusty from being in the cellar for a very long time. Just before they got to those boxes, someone figured out they were a match and put them together in one box. I thought this would certainly drive the price up. I bid $5 and not a single person bid against me. The sale was in my mother's home town so we took the set back to her house, washed them, and couldn't even find a single scratch on them and the color is crystal clear. We already had one of these candy dishes in our collection; however, my favorite pieces are the ones with good stories behind them. This is definitely a keeper! The auction was part of an estate of a very close friend of my family. I knew she would be very happy the dish went home with us. It wasn't just a good buy but now has some sentimental meaning to us.

      Rex