Soooo excited!!

  • macylovescookies
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2009
      Hi fellow candlewick lovers,

      I am just so excited I had to share. I FINALLY got my square 7.5" dish. I just bought it on ebay and it's officially in the mail. YAY!!!

      Now the only piece I have left to add is the two tiered tray. This is such a joy for me. I am just thrilled, thrilled, thrilled.

      That's it. :-)
      Macy
    • dbfrogs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2009
        Macy!
        Congratulations!! I have seen 2 in the last few weeks on ebay, I am so happy for you.
        Fran

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2009
          That is great! I had my eye on that same piece on e-bay. I just added the 10" pedestal fruit bowl so I was out of Candlewick funds for the rest of the month. I also need that particular square bowl as I have had the small and medium sizes for quite a while and they look pretty lonely without the third.

          We bought our pedestal fruit stand on Ebay and the seller happened to live in the same city that we live in. I didn't have to anxiously wait by the mailbox waiting for it to get here. I paid online and went and picked it up.

          This board has been so quiet lately. I'm glad someone finally had some news to share.

          I'm curious, you said you only had one more item to find. Does that mean you have one of everything in the books or are there certain items that were on your wish list? I don't think I'll ever be able to say I just have one more piece to go. Ha! The thrill is in the hunt!!!

          My mother-in-law has recently written her first book. (It is a history type book about a certain place in Oklahoma.) Next month we are hosting a reception for her after her book-signing at a bookstore. We are planning to use as much Candlewick as possible on our buffet tables. It is so nice to have a big event to get to use a lot of it at one time.

          Happy hunting!

          Rex

          --- In CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com, "macylovescookies" <smileymacy@...> wrote:

          > Hi fellow candlewick lovers,
          >
          > I am just so excited I had to share. I FINALLY got my square 7.5" dish. I just bought it on ebay and it's officially in the mail. YAY!!!
          >
          > Now the only piece I have left to add is the two tiered tray. This is such a joy for me. I am just thrilled, thrilled, thrilled.
          >
          > That's it. :-)
          > Macy

        • macylovescookies
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
            Hey Rex.

            On that 10" pedestal fruit bowl, do you mean 10" wide or high. I don't think I've seen one of those.

            You and Fran are so sweet.

            You know, I would LOVE to have all three sizes of the square dish, but I figured that as expensive as they were I was lucky to just have one. Maybe eventually I can get the other ones too. But the reason I said just 1 piece left to buy is because when I first started collecting I made a list of all the pieces I saw that I wanted and as the years have gone on I have added more, but I'm down to just this last piece on my list. I'm sure I'll see things I have to have as I haven't seen the entire line. Ohhh wait.... actually I still want the cruet set too. I need to go add it to my list before I forget.

            I just want to be able to use every piece in my collection. Maybe not as much as I would like, but at least once a year and I know that some pieces though really beautiful would just sit around never used. So their is no use adding them to my collection just to add to them. Well there is that and also I just can't afford even trying to buy everything. There is so much, where would I put it all even if I could afford it. lol

            Are you trying to buy everything?

            Macy
          • rexjocelyn
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
              Macy,

              Not that I wouldn't like to have everything in the books, but our kids like to eat and seem to like a roof over their heads so we will never have everything. The internet has helped us buy a few pieces that we normally would not come across here in Oklahoma.

              We've had a few financial bumps along the way in our 19 years of marriage. My wife had brain surgery as well as 9 other surgeries in a 3 year span about 10 years ago (everything is 100% fine now with her health). We also adopted a little boy from Russia 3 years ago this coming Monday (he's 4 1/2 now) and we have a 17 year old daughter. (Yes, one in Pre-K and one a Senior in highschool.) Candlewick has been a relaxing hobby that we have certainly enjoyed in our free time.

              We have had the very good fortune of owning many very nice pieces of Candlewick but when times were hard after the surgeries and after we got home from Russia, we sold a few of our better pieces off. Absolutely no regrets!!! Family first!!! We had a handled cordial bottle, the 400/18 cream and sugar (one of my personal favorites), the handled cruet set, the oil/vinegar bottle with the big round stopper, a pint pitcher with beaded handle, the large pitcher with beaded foot (another personal favorite), the oval platters, and the list goes on. It was great owning them for a short while and passing them on to other collectors when times got hard. As attached as we are to these items, we have to always put our collecting in perspective. It is funny, but we have never had the opportunity to replace any of the items we have sold but there are plenty of days ahead to look for them.

              Today, I went to an antique fair and found a table FULL of Candlewick but didn't buy a thing. There were only 4 items I didn't have. There was a square relish but it had a very rough spot/blemish on the divider so I passed on it. I was pretty disappointed and the seller acted like it was "nothing" but it wasn't "nothing" and was pretty noticeable.

              As for the large fruit bowl you asked about. I don't have my books with me but I think it is the 400/103F. It looks like the large pedestal cake plate but the plate is bent up to make a bowl. It is 10" across. (After all these years, I'm still very bad with remembering the mold numbers, sorry.)

              We honestly have limited our use of Candlewick with the arrival of our little boy (although Thanksgiving is a big Candlewick day at our house.) We have the big Christmas and Easter dinners away from home with other relatives (usually on paper or plastic plates - ha! Surprisingly, the food tastes good anyway). He has never broken a single piece of glass in the past 3 years and we certainly don't want him to be afraid of it. I just don't want to take the chance of him pulling one corner of a table cloth and seeing thousands of glass beads on the dining room floor. I can picture the expression on his face as he would say "sowwy daddy". We've just about grown out of that awkward stage with him and we plan to incorporate Candlewick into Sunday lunches to try to make some good memories for the kids. We would like them to treasure it as much as we do (but we are a little afraid they won't). And if a piece gets broken along the way, so what, we'll find another one. Honestly, I would be harder on myself for breaking something than I would ever be on anyone else.

              Sometimes, I just like to sit in the front living room in the dark with the china cabinet lights on. I look at each piece and can usually recall where I got it, the circumstances, times we've used it, the price (mostly if it was a bargain or not), if it was a gift (and will think fondly of the generosity and thoughtfulness of the giver) and when I might use it next.

              I'm fascinated with Candlewick...not obsessed, just fascinated. I would have loved to have had the chance to go to the factory and actually see something being made. To those of you out there who have witnessed that, treasure those memories, because some of us younger folks will never have that opportunity.

              I'll tell a little secret on myself (just between all of us on the internet). When I was a child on the farm, we had a lot of really old barn buildings within several square miles of our place and I enjoyed throwing rocks and trying to break out old windows (most were already broken but I would try to break off a little bit more). I really seemed to love the sound of glass breaking back then...well, I've come a long way since then. I'm living proof that people can change. I've always wondered if that had anything to do with my appreciation of glass now.

              Well, here I go again, rambling on, hoping someone will listen.

              Well, I'll go for now. I would really love to hear from others in this group some more. I really miss the conversations with my Candlewick pals.

              Type at you later...............Rex

              --- In CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com, "macylovescookies" <smileymacy@...> wrote:

              > Hey Rex.
              >
              > On that 10" pedestal fruit bowl, do you mean 10" wide or high. I don't think I've seen one of those.
              >
              > You and Fran are so sweet.
              >
              > You know, I would LOVE to have all three sizes of the square dish, but I figured that as expensive as they were I was lucky to just have one. Maybe eventually I can get the other ones too. But the reason I said just 1 piece left to buy is because when I first started collecting I made a list of all the pieces I saw that I wanted and as the years have gone on I have added more, but I'm down to just this last piece on my list. I'm sure I'll see things I have to have as I haven't seen the entire line. Ohhh wait.... actually I still want the cruet set too. I need to go add it to my list before I forget.
              >
              > I just want to be able to use every piece in my collection. Maybe not as much as I would like, but at least once a year and I know that some pieces though really beautiful would just sit around never used. So their is no use adding them to my collection just to add to them. Well there is that and also I just can't afford even trying to buy everything. There is so much, where would I put it all even if I could afford it. lol
              >
              > Are you trying to buy everything?
              >
              > Macy

            • pinecones64
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
                First, Marcy, congratulations on getting that bowl!

                Rex - I so enjoyed your posting. You certainly have your priorities in good order.

                As for me, I'm a new collector but an old fan. Like, am sure, many of you, my mom had a small collection of candlewick and I have fond memories as a child of being allowed to help get it out and set the table for a special occasion.

                As an adult, I lived a life in which formal entertaining was an integral part of my life. Now, however, I am retired -- an alone. I decided to sell my china -- yet wanted to have something more than the everyday dishes. Into my mind, popped my mom's crystal dinnerware - but I had no idea what it was called or even if it still existed. You all would have giggled at me getting on the internet and trying to figure out what it was called. I started out looking for crystal dinnerware, then nubby crystal and finally hobnail crystal. None of those worked until I got the indea of seaching Google's images of hobnail and eureka -- there it was! So, after two hours of hunting I knew the name: Candlewick! I immediately went to the Replacements Ltd site to see if it were still being produced or it anyone "cared" about it. Well, you can imagine my surprise to find many, many pages of it. I had NO IDEA there were so many pieces -I can still picture what my mom had and never knew there was so much. I was enthralled by it all - it was as beautiful as I remembered. My mom has been deceased for over 15 years and somehow, this seemed like a new connection to her too.

                So, it seemed like it was meant to be -- the right replacement for my china. The first thing I did was to purchase the 2004 candlewick book of Myrna and Bob Garrison so I could learn enough not to be taken. It has become my bible of candlewick. I also visited Fran's Look-A-Like site and both the book and the site were invaluable.

                I now have acquired enough to use -- the usual plates, serving bowls, etc. and even have quite a few of the 3400 stemware. The clarent glasses look like my hardest thing to find at a reasonable price -- I can only imagine that not as many survived over the years.

                Rex, I too enjoyed just looking at the beautiful, gleeming crystal in my hutch. I've decided to use it whenever I want -- even it it is just an ordinary meal or glass of wine just for myself. It somehow, makes me feel special to use it.

                I don't think that at this point in my life, that I will end up buying a lot of the extra pieces - although I confess that it is certainly fun to scour antique stores for any sign of Candlewick.

                As a newbee to your list, I'd love to hear the stories of others and why you started your collection.

                Thanks for letting me share my story. Jan
              • rexjocelyn
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2009
                  Jan,

                  That's a neat story of using Candlewick to reconnect with memories of your mother. My mother has never cared for fancy dishes. We were farm folks and we were lucky if the dishes at the table even matched.

                  I wish you the best in your collecting.

                  We do not have any of the clarets you were talking about and don't recall ever coming across them in our hunting. We have about 36 of the tall 3400 4-bead water stems. For a while, I just couldn't pass them up. At the next party we are having, we are going to use these instead of punch cups. I think it will look very grand and our guests won't have to refill their little cups as often.

                  Here's another neat idea we used at our last party. We have two Candlewick punch bowls. One was filled with punch and the other with fresh cut up fruit. They flanked both ends of the table and we had more compliments about that fresh fruit than any other items on the buffet. It was a baby shower and since everything was pink, we sprinkled cherry nutra-sweet Jello on the fruit to give it a pink look and added flavor. It turned out great.

                  On another occasion, we used both punch bowls and put regular punch in one and fancy small ice chips in the other. On top of the ice, we placed little boxes of juice all around the top of the bowl. The kids would rather have had the juice boxes and it was safer on our carpets than little cups of red punch. There were a lot of kids at the party and having their own punch bowl made them feel important.

                  Best of luck and happy entertaining. Rex

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
                    Hey Rex, wow. I never knew any of that about you. I'm so glad your wife is well, I can't imagine going through that, and how resourceful to sell your candlewick for extra cash. I hope to never find myself in that position as I do not have any truly unique or expensive pieces, I would probably have to sell the entire collection... especially in this economy. But we won't think about that.

                    That is too funny about the glass breaking thing.

                    And my husband and I also want to adopt, we have been talking about it since before we got married. We have been blessed with 2 beautiful girls, but having suffered 2 miscarriages I have no will to try again.... so we plan on starting the process in a couple of years, once we are a little more financially stable and the girls are a little older (as I only imagine an adopted child needs a lot more care than a normal child, at least at first to get adjusted.)

                    Jan, that is so heartwarming about connecting to your mom through candlewick. I hope that my children or grandchildren can appreciate the pieces as much as I do one day. That would be so special to me, to share that with them. But please tell me which are the clarents? I'm not familiar with that term.

                    Hope everyone s having a fantastic labor day. I have tons of chores to do to prepare for our daughters birthday party next weekend. We've invited 93 people over to our house and for many it is the first time they will see it, so I am running around like a madwoman trying to get the house ready. And unfortunately since a lot of those coming are children, we will be not be using any candlewick.

                    :-)
                    Macy
                  • pinecones64
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
                      Marcy, My proof reading skills were not up to par - it should have read "claret" glasses. Sorry for the confusion! I'm able to find the 4 oz stems but not the larger 6 oz ones. Jan
                    • purtycherty

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
                          If you let me know what pieces you are looking to find, I'll be happy to keep an eye out for them here in North Central Arkansas.  There are a lot of retirees here, and collections do tend to show up at estate sales.  I haven't seen much Candlewick, but there have been a few items.  I doubt that I'll come across any of the incredibly pricey treasures, but if there are more common odds and ends that might just be hard to find where you happen to live, something could turn up here.    Things here seem to be wonderfully reasonable unless someone looked something up in a book and thinks things actually sell at book value.  In the latter case, finding a buyer here is unlikely.  Email me directly with some idea of what's a reasonable price range since I wouldn't have a clue.   A reference photo would be a big help, but I can usually download something.

                          I'll definitely keep an eye out for 6 ounce clarets and that 2-tiered tidbit tray.

                          ~ susan j

                          .

                        • dbfrogs@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
                            I have so enjoyed the posts from all members about your
                            collecting Candlewick!!!
                            I know the thrill of winning the perfect piece!
                            Fran