Imperial cakestand with cover

  • William Case
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
      Can anyone confirm if Imperial actually made a domed cover for it's 400/103D tall cake stand.  There is one listed on ebay that I'm very interested in, but the seller has several people emailing her stating the cover is NOT Imperial, but instead Princess House. Did Imperial purchase the covers from Princess House? The domed cover sure appears to be Imperial Candlewick  The item # is, 270190144366

      Thanks all!

      Will

    • ^Cat .
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
        thats definately princess house. the pattern is called heritage flower .. i have alot of it. whether imperial made one or not .. that isn't it lol.
        Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
        http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007
      • dbfrogs@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
          The Original Imperial Candlewick Cake Cover was shown in an Imperial Candlewick Catalog in 1982-1983.
          10"Diameter and 4 7/8" side height.
          The West Virginia Glass Company, Weston WV. made the cover , it was bought by Imperial to go with the Torte Plate and the Cake Stand.
          (Reference page 45 Imperial Candlewick The Crystal Line by the Garrisons)
          I do not know if Princess House now has the mold.    The only difference I can see is the cutting.
          Fran

        • Joan Cimini
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007

            Fran is correct…

            .Imperial  bought theirs from West Virginia Glass Specialty Company.  Same place they bought their globes.  Those domes were light weight.  The more recent ones I have seen were quite heavy.  The glass is really thick.

            Joan

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007

              I think I may have mis-spoke on the Candlewick shades.  Not ALL were made by Imperial .  Some were purchased from the West Virginia Glass Company.

              As to the cake stand dome……the  knob on the West Virginia one was SOLID.  I am not sure on the newer ones, if they were solid or had a hole in the knob.

              Joan

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
                Thanks Cat, Fran & Joan...  I knew I could count on this group!!  I wonder if Princess House uses the same Imperial mould or if they copied it?

                Cat, Does the Princess House one feel heavy? does it have a solid ball on top? or hollow?  Thanks

                 Happy Holidays to you all!

                Will

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007

                  Will…….Like I said……the cake TOP was made by West Virginia Glass Company and as far as I know they are still in business.  So in that case the mould would most likely still be there at their company.  Imperial did not own the mould.

                  And further on the subject………the cake top was used on other Imperial cake stands.

                  Joan

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Hey Will, I went and checked it and its fairly heavy even though the glass looks very delicate. The ball on top is solid. It really is a pretty piece . I have the matching pie server as well, same thing only about 2 inches shorter. My cousin sold princess house for a while and as a result I have ALOT of it lol .. laters, ~Cat~

                    Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate.  Join in.
                  • Sally Schneider
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
                      So what is the final verdict on the glass cover on EBay? Princess
                      House? Sally