Ashtray with Dome

  • Virginia R. Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2007
      Ashtray with Dome
      Hello Group Members,

       In the June 16  digest, there was a very nice notice posted by Yahoo
       Candlewick Collector that I was having a birthday on June 17.  I didn't know
      that Yahoo did that so it was a very nice surprise.  I  really appreciate all
      the e-mails and birthday cards that collectors sent me.  It is nice to find
       that collectors still think of me.  I'm sorry that I can't write each of you
       a personal note.  I really enjoy hearing from collectors.
               * * * * * *
      Here's a little input on a question tht was asked awhile back. Someone asked
      for information about an 6" ashtray with a dome.  That is a question that
      was often asked when I put out my Candlewick newsletters. I tried to look it
      up in my somewhat incomplete newsletter index.  The first mention I found of
      it was in NL#21, page 3. Pat Staley, IL, wrote that she bought a 6" ashtray
      with a dome lid like the covered toast from Shirley Roush of Florida.  I
      asked Shirley Roush to please send us information as to where she got it.
      In NL #22, page 2, Shirley wrote, "The ashtray with the dome came from
      Ross's Barn at Bellaire, OH. The dome is 4" w and 3" high and has a knob
      like the covered toast. It fits into the ashtray."

      Through the years, other collectors reported and asked about an ashtray with
      a dome.  As far as I can remember,  we never found any Imperial information
      about it.  However, In Nl #92, page 2, I refer to an article that Kathy
      Burch, MI, wrote for Mary Wetzel's January 1996 Michiana Club Spyglass
      Newsletter: Kathy shows an Iillustration that she said Myrna Garrison gave
      her.   The paper shows 3 differant sizes of domes, 3 1/2" wide, 4" high;
      4 1/2"w, 4 3/4" h; and 6"w, 5"h. The page has an Imperial w/wine glass logo at top
      left and "Old Central Quality" at bottom right.  Imperial purchased Central Glass
      Works in 1940. Draw your own conclusions as to whether Imperial combined them.

      Virginia