Candy Box Question

  • Dan Tyner
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
      I ran across a 400/110, 7 inch 3 part candy box today at a $40 price.  I passed it up until I came home and looked it up.

      My concern was that the beads around the edge had a mold ridge completely around the outer edge of the beads.  As mold ridges are rare things on CW, I wondered if this was for real or not.

      Any opinions or thoughts on this.  The quality otherwise looked like great Imperial quality.

      Thanks,

      Dan

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Howard Crane
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
        Hi Dan, we have a 400/110 that has been in our collection for about 15-20 years.

        Our dish cover has a very fine, barely detectable ridge around the half-way point of the edge of some of the beads around the cover. On most of the beads, you cannot feel it or see anything but on some of the beads it is there, but barely noticeable.

        We have every reason to believe that our candy dish is real since we have never heard of any reproductions of this piece and there do not seem to be very many of these around as you would expect if it was being mass produced somewhere.

        I believe that we had acquired this candy dish in an antique shop around Keene, New Hampshire in the mid-1980s. I would be interested to know if you learn more.

        Howard in Hartford.

        Dan Tyner <greencreekfarm@...> wrote:
        I ran across a 400/110, 7 inch 3 part candy box today at a $40 price.  I passed it up until I came home and looked it up.

        My concern was that the beads around the edge had a mold ridge completely around the outer edge of the beads.  As mold ridges are rare things on CW, I wondered if this was for real or not.

        Any opinions or thoughts on this.  The quality otherwise looked like great Imperial quality.

        Thanks,

        Dan

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

      • Howard Crane

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
              Howard,

              Thanks for looking at your pieces and helping me out.

              Yep, I will be giving that shop a call this  morning to buy it.  Should have trusted my gut feeling and saved myself a trip.

              Thanks,

              Dan

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
                --- In CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com, Howard Crane <
                howard.crane@...> wrote:
                Can someone explain the difference between the 400/260 and 400/110
                candy box? I believe they are both about 7 inches? I have a box and
                purchased it for about $40.
                Thanks,
                Diane

              • darcyjs@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Diane
                    400/260 the beads are on the bowl not the lid.  On 400/110 the beads are on the lid not on the bowl.
                  So one base has beads the other doesn't
                  Hope this helps
                  Darcy

                • Diane Cupps
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
                    --- darcyjs@... wrote:
                    Thanks Darcy! I'm glad! I have the 400/260 then.
                    Diane