Visit to Eastern PA

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2006
      My wife and I traveled to the Allentown, PA area over the weekend to
      visit our niece who is in her first year at Muhlenberg College.
      While in the area, we drove down PA RT 222 to Adamstown. We had heard
      for years of the many antique dealers in the region, but had never
      traveled there before. Everything we had heard was true! We spent
      Sunday afternoon in three antique malls, Rennigers, Clock Tower, and
      Adamstown Antiques. Both Rennigers and Clock Tower had over 300
      dealers in their sprawling buildings and Adamstown had close to 150.
      There were at least a half dozen other antique buildings/malls that we
      passed up. All of this competition tends to keep prices reasonable -
      at least in the Candlewick line. Saw numerous dealers with Candlewick
      for sale. Most were the more common pieces but prices were in the
      mid-range of the guides and 10-15% off the marked price was easily had
      for the asking. Some of the more unusual items were two silver screw
      pegged 12" nappy (cake) trays 400/251D that were cut with the center
      "rays" of the Canadian Wreath pattern but not any of the other
      cross-hatching part of that cut. The asking price on each of the
      nappies was $75 (at the Clock Tower). Some other examples were the
      covered candy 400/59 (later version) at $38 and 400/52E two-handled
      plate (sides turned up) at $24. One dealer at Rennigers did have some
      rare items and they were marked at top dollar, a pair of 400/224
      tri-stem candleholders at $600 for the pair and a 400/67C footed
      crimped bowl at $250 were some of their items.

      We are running out of space for our collection, so we were only
      looking for really good deals or small items. We did find a 400/45
      compote (later version) and a 400/49H unhandled heart bowl at $12
      each (both at a dealer at the Clock Tower). We also found a 400/221
      lemon tray at $25 (at Adamstown Antiques). We hope to start our future
      daughter-in-law onto Candlewick collecting with the heart bowl but
      we'll have to wait and see how that turns out! All-in-all it was a
      terrific weekend - we didn't bore our niece and made a couple of good
      Candlewick finds at low prices!

      Tom