Re: [CandlewickCollector] Digest Number 1485

  • Virginia R. Scott
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
      Fran,

      I don't think the piece is the egg cup. It is too short and too fat.
      I think Dave is right that it is the cigarette holder. In my NL #119, I show
      the measurements of the cigarette holder as 3" tall and 2 1/4" diameter.

      Dave- In my NL #88, page 3, (June 1995), it is reported that Marie Simonson
      found a small 2 1/4" tall and 1 7/8" jar similar to the cig jar and asks
      what it could be. I didn't have the foggiest notion as to what it was.
      Where in the Garrison books is the two numbers for the egg cup--or was it
      the cig jars-- discussed? I have missed it. Thanks. You are right--it is
      never too late--or was that too old?-- to learn more about Candlewick.

      Virginia

      ----------

    • dbfrogs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
        Virginia and Dave...
        Thank you so much for the information and Lesson...I really appreciate it...Fran
      • Liz and Dave Hogan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
          FYI to all:

          While looking over the 2005 Christmas catalog from LTD Commodities, my
          husband found on page 426, what appears to be a candlewick platter with
          cookies on it. It certainly looks like candlewick.

          Also, in the movie the Wedding Crashers, I believe they used candlewick
          plates on gold chargers at one of the receptions!!! Has anyone seen these
          or any other published uses lately for candlewick??

          Liz Hogan
          > I don't think the piece is the egg cup. It is too short and too fat.
          > I think Dave is right that it is the cigarette holder. In my NL #119, I
          > show
          > the measurements of the cigarette holder as 3" tall and 2 1/4" diameter.
          >
          > Dave- In my NL #88, page 3, (June 1995), it is reported that Marie
          > Simonson
          > found a small 2 1/4" tall and 1 7/8" jar similar to the cig jar and asks
          > what it could be. I didn't have the foggiest notion as to what it was.
          > Where in the Garrison books is the two numbers for the egg cup--or was
          > it
          > the cig jars-- discussed? I have missed it. Thanks. You are right--it is
          > never too late--or was that too old?-- to learn more about Candlewick.
          >
          > Virginia
          >
          > ----------
          >>From: CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com
          >>To: CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com
          >>Subject: [CandlewickCollector] Digest Number 1485
          >>Date: Fri, Sep 30, 2005, 11:45 AM
          >>

          >> There are 4 messages in this issue.
          >>
          >> Topics in this digest:
          >>
          >> 1. Egg Cup 400/19 Mallard Cut?
          >> From: "candlewicklvr" <dbfrogs@...>
          >> 2. Re: Egg Cup 400/19 Mallard Cut?
          >> From: "Dave Adkisson" <dave@...>
          >> 3. Re: Egg Cup 400/19 Mallard Cut?
          >> From: dbfrogs@...
          >> 4. Re: Egg Cup 400/19 Mallard Cut?
          >> From: dbfrogs@...

          >> Message: 1
          >> Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 03:08:04 -0000
          >> From: "candlewicklvr" <dbfrogs@...>
          >> Subject: Egg Cup 400/19 Mallard Cut?
          >>
          >> Hello Candlewick Lovers,
          >> I think this is the 400/19 Egg Cup with the Mallard Cutting...I am
          >> looking for a Value and want to make sure I have ID'd it
          >> right...Thanks, Fran
          >>

          >> http://www.deadzoom.com/member/fran/Everything1272.jpg

          >> Message: 2
          >> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:45:42 -0500
          >> From: "Dave Adkisson" <dave@...>
          >> Subject: Re: Egg Cup 400/19 Mallard Cut?
          >>
          >> Hi Fran
          >>
          >> The Garrison's two books show two different versions of the egg cup
          >> or
          >> cigarette holder. According to the books - they found that Imperial
          >> listed
          >> them as 400/44 and in another place as 400/19. When we were going to put
          >> one of our duplicates on the website for sale - we discovered that they
          >> weren't duplicates - they were different. It's late now - but if you
          >> want,
          >> I can take a picture of them side by side and send it tomorrow. You
          >> can't
          >> ever learn enough about Imperial Glass...........
          >>
          >> Dave A.

        • Risk
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
            While at Bed Bath and Beyond the other day we found plates that
            looked to be CW. Well of course they were repro. A company is making
            2 different sized plates, some with gold beads. Their name escapes me
            right now, but their items are already showing up on ebay as "real
            Imperial CW" so beware of what you bid on.
            We did some research on this mfg and anyone can buy large quantities
            and receive price reductions from them. Lots cheaper than the 40
            bucks each at BBB.
            Regards

            --- In CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com, "Liz and Dave Hogan"
            <dchogan@m...> wrote:
            > FYI to all:
            >
            > While looking over the 2005 Christmas catalog from LTD Commodities,
            my
            > husband found on page 426, what appears to be a candlewick platter
            with
            > cookies on it. It certainly looks like candlewick.
            >
            > Also, in the movie the Wedding Crashers, I believe they used
            candlewick
            > plates on gold chargers at one of the receptions!!! Has anyone
            seen these
            > or any other published uses lately for candlewick??
            >
            > Liz Hogan

            __

            __

            > >> Message: 1
            > >> Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 03:08:04 -0000
            > >> From: "candlewicklvr" <dbfrogs@a...>
            > >> Subject: Egg Cup 400/19 Mallard Cut?
            > >>
            > >> Hello Candlewick Lovers,
            > >> I think this is the 400/19 Egg Cup with the Mallard Cutting...I
            am
            > >> looking for a Value and want to make sure I have ID'd it
            > >> right...Thanks, Fran
            > >>

            > >> http://www.deadzoom.com/member/fran/Everything1272.jpg

            __

            __

            > >> Message: 2
            > >> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:45:42 -0500
            > >> From: "Dave Adkisson" <dave@a...>
            > >> Subject: Re: Egg Cup 400/19 Mallard Cut?
            > >>
            > >> Hi Fran
            > >>
            > >> The Garrison's two books show two different versions of the
            egg cup
            > >> or
            > >> cigarette holder. According to the books - they found that
            Imperial
            > >> listed
            > >> them as 400/44 and in another place as 400/19. When we were
            going to put
            > >> one of our duplicates on the website for sale - we discovered
            that they
            > >> weren't duplicates - they were different. It's late now - but
            if you
            > >> want,
            > >> I can take a picture of them side by side and send it tomorrow.
            You
            > >> can't
            > >> ever learn enough about Imperial Glass...........
            > >>
            > >> Dave A.

            __

            __

          • dbfrogs@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
              Thanks for the tip, I just went there and found the plates they are called the Belmont Charger and say Strawberry Street made in Germany...they are 13" across and do not have a Marie on the bottom...Fran
            • Joan Cimini
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005

                Fran…….good job on tracking down the advertising.    These have been on the market for several years now.   I bought some from a Stein Mart Store in Fl about 3 yrs. ago………we have them in the museum with the original stickers in our Look A Like Section.  They used the same names then also.

                I was just in a Bed, Bath and Beyond in MI recently and did not see them there but then again, I was not looking for them to be there.

                They are much heavier and of course about an inch larger in diameter than the originals.  They have made a mould over the original, hence the larger item resulted.  We are noticing that most of the German pieces are about an inch larger overall.

                Watch the little catalogs that come in the mail before Christmas………..usually we see some of the reproductions there.  The ones that sell the cookies and candy and nuts.  Something else to watch for.

                Joan