Re: [CandlewickCollector] "Sun" colored

  • VRS1CW@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      Angel,

      If glass with lead content is left out in the sun for a time, it will turn
      lavender.

      I think the Candlewick with a lavender or bluish tint was probably caused by
      the mixture used for the glass. At one of the Convention sessions when former
      employees were asked questions, one said that during World War II it was
      impossible to get good sand and other ingredients to put in the glass mixture
      and that the glass came out with different tints. We also know that the
      early Candlewick is sometimes yellowish. Years ago, a collector sent me a
      copy of a letter from a former president of Imperial, C.J. Uhrmann, who said
      the yellowish tints might be caused by exposure to light.

      Virginia
    • Peggy Anctil
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003

        Virginia,

        I have found some of the early pieces are almost always found with a yellow tint.  At first I just would not buy these pieces; then I realized if I wanted them I would have to put up with a yellow tint.  The following pieces are almost always found with a yellow tint:  400/680—twin Hurricane lamp (mine is clear), 400/101 13” float bowl, 400/74SC 9” bowl, 400/36 canapé plate, and the 400/168F fruit tray. Peggy

        If glass with lead content is left out in the sun for a time, it will turn
        lavender.

        I think the Candlewick with a lavender or bluish tint was probably caused by
        the mixture used for the glass. At one of the Convention sessions when former
        employees were asked questions,  one said that during World War II it was
        impossible to get good sand and other ingredients to put in the glass mixture
        and that the glass came out with different tints.  We also know that the
        early Candlewick is sometimes yellowish. Years ago, a collector sent me a
        copy of  a letter from a former president of Imperial, C.J. Uhrmann, who said
        the yellowish tints might be caused by exposure to light.

        Virginia

        Have a friend who is as crazy about Candlewick as you are?  Well, be sure to tell them about this list.  Feel free to forward this to them.

      • VRS1CW@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
          Peggy,

          You are right--The early Candlewick is most often yellowish. I have a
          400/74SC bowl with wheat cut and a 400/87F Fan rolled top vase with small
          beads that are very yellowish. I have a soft lavender 400/87C vase with beads
          down the side and several bluish cups and saucers. Actually, the lavender
          and blue are rather pretty, I think.

          Virginia