This should be fun!

  • VRS1CW@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 1999
      Hi to all you Candlewick fans out there. This should be a fun thing to share. I really don't know very well how to go about it, but will give it a try. If any of you have questions about CW or reproductions or look-likes, I will try to answer. However I sometimes don't know the answer, so maybe some of you can help me out. We will learn together which is what we have been doing all these 24 years through the Candlewick Collector newsletter. I hope this new corner will be---"A Little Happiness in the e-mail"! Virginia Scott
    • Glassmurf@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 1999
        In a message dated 99-08-26 13:27:20 EDT, VRS1CW@... writes:

        << Hi to all you Candlewick fans out there. This should be a fun thing to
        share. I really don't know very well how to go about it, but will give it a
        try. If any of you have questions about CW or reproductions or look-likes, I
        will try to answer. However I sometimes don't know the answer, so maybe some
        of you can help me out. We will learn together which is what we have been
        doing all these 24 years through the Candlewick Collector newsletter. I hope
        this new corner will be---"A Little Happiness in the e-mail"! Virginia Scott

        Yes Virginia, I agree, this should be great fun! Since this is a brand new
        mailing list, and we are meeting brand new Candlewick friends, perhaps we
        should get to know each other better? How about if we all share how we first
        encountered and started collecting Candlewick?

        I'll go first.

        <standing up>

        Hi! My name is Laura Murphy, and I'm a Candlewick-aholic.

        As a child, I tagged along with my stepmother, while she was searching for
        her glass in thrift stores and antique stores. While I was shopping with
        her, I noticed that there seemed to be an abundance of Candlewick in the
        shops. I decided that it must be a fairly easy pattern to collect, since you
        saw it all the time. (Boy was I ever wrong!) At the time, I was enamored
        with cobalt glass, but I couldn't pick one specific pattern. So my "so
        called" collection was really just an assortment of blue glass. The years
        passed and I got married, and my grandmother asked me if I might want an old
        glass salad bowl that she didn't use anymore. I thought it sounded like a
        marvelous idea, and to my surprise, it turned out to be a Candlewick 400/106B
        Bowl. And thus began my search for Candlewick to add to that one piece.
        Along the way, I was delighted to find both Mary Wetzel and Virginia Scott,
        and their books to help my collection go in the right direction. (Although I
        do admit to owning some boopie and libby mistakes.) I've been a
        Candlewick-aholic ever since that first salad bowl, and I'm proud of it. No
        12-step programs for me, thank you very much.

        I'm excited about this mailing list, and the opportunity to get to know more
        Candlewick Collectors.

        Be sure to visit our <A
        HREF="http://members.aol.com/Glassmurf/list.html">CandlewickCollector</A> web
        page to find more information about Candlewick.

        Who wants to tell us about themselves next?
      • tswans@ix.netcom.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2000
          --- In CandlewickCollector@egroups.com, VRS1CW@... wrote:
          > Hi to all you Candlewick fans out there. This should be a fun thing
          to share. I really don't know very well how to go about it, but will
          give it a try. If any of you have questions about CW or reproductions
          or look-likes, I will try to answer. However I sometimes don't know
          the answer, so maybe some of you can help me out. We will learn
          together which is what we have been doing all these 24 years through
          the Candlewick Collector newsletter. I hope this new corner will be--
          -"A Little Happiness in the e-mail"! Virginia Scott

          Virginia: I am replying several months after you wrote this email,
          as I just joined the site after receiving your April, 2000,
          newsletter.

          Jim and I live in Las Vegas and just returned from the convention in
          Ohio. It was wonderful and we wish you could have been there. We were
          part of the original Fox Valley group before we moved. I really miss
          those meetings and Jackie Norland's expertise! There are no clubs or
          study groups in Nevada. However, at the convention we met two
          couples from Arizona and will try to get something going over there,
          as we spend part of the winter near Phoenix.

          This site is a great idea. I am going back and reading all of the
          emails I missed!!

          Thank you for all of the work you have done for the "Candlewick
          Family" over the years. I was thrilled to receive autographed copies
          of your books, each time I ordered one. To me, you are the "First
          Lady of Candlewick." I am glad you liked my suggestion for the
          sticky material, from Wicks and Sticks, to use on the birthday
          cakeplate. It has always worked for me.

          Gayle and Jim Swanson