CW 400/152 find

  • lb03a3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
      We purchased some CW at a recent auction. The 400/79R candleholder
      and 400/152 adapter were on a sale table. They were so dirty and
      greasy that the finish appeared yellow and frosted. We were the
      winning bidders at $40 in the hope that soap and water would reveal a
      sparkling Imperial product.

      The correct globe, in similar condition, was in a box lot on the
      floor under the sale table. We brought the pieces together with an
      additional lofty bid of $10. It cleaned up beautifully with little
      effort and has been paired with a previous acquisition.

      Our first 400/152R hurricane lamp was received in an original
      Imperial box marked "1/6 DOZ 400/152 3 PC HURRICANE LAMP TAFFE
      11-18-49." It is further marked "W.F.A. ORDER IMPERIAL GLASS CORP.
      NOTIFY WESTBERGS PRINEVILLE, OREGON DRAFT 897."
    • originaltwylatime@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
        Well, congratulations, big time, on your hurricane lamp acquisition!
        I'm sure that getting the lamp in the first place was a big thrill,
        but to also find the globe and get both so cheaply!! Isn't is FUN
        when that happens?!?

        More luck to you in future seach & seizure operations! LOL

        Cathy

        --- In CandlewickCollector@y..., lb03a3@a... wrote:
        > We purchased some CW at a recent auction. The 400/79R candleholder
        > and 400/152 adapter were on a sale table. They were so dirty and
        > greasy that the finish appeared yellow and frosted. We were the
        > winning bidders at $40 in the hope that soap and water would reveal
        > sparkling Imperial product.
        >
        > The correct globe, in similar condition, was in a box lot on the
        > floor under the sale table. We brought the pieces together with an
        > additional lofty bid of $10. It cleaned up beautifully with little
        > effort and has been paired with a previous acquisition.
        >
        > Our first 400/152R hurricane lamp was received in an original
        > Imperial box marked "1/6 DOZ 400/152 3 PC HURRICANE LAMP TAFFE
        > 11-18-49." It is further marked "W.F.A. ORDER IMPERIAL GLASS CORP.
        > NOTIFY WESTBERGS PRINEVILLE, OREGON DRAFT 897."
      • R Carver
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2001
          lb03a3,

          When I read your email regarding the CW 400/152R hurricane lamp and saw the last line, the words Prineville, Oregon caught my attention. I thought
          perhaps you and other collectors would like additional information on the history of where that piece came from. I'm a native Prineville, Oregonian -
          was born and raised there. It's a very small rural town in central Oregon. Founded in the late 1800's, one of the old family names in Prineville is
          Westberg. There is still a Westberg family in town. I suspect the marking on the original box was a result of the Westberg's ordering the lamp from a
          local hardware store and it was shipped with the marking on the box. Interesting...........being a CW collector I now wonder if the Westberg's disposed
          of all of their CW or if they still have some pieces laying around. :o)

          Happy Collecting,
          Rachel Carver

        • lb03a3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2001
            Rachel,

            Thank you so much for the informative response to "CW 400/152 find." I could
            not have anticipated such a response. It certainly adds some history to this
            much traveled piece of Imperial Candlewick. It has survived the trip from
            Ohio to Oregon to California and finally to Maryland. Larry Byrd
          • Laylush@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2001

              Dose any one have a picture of this
              CW 400/152R hurricane lamp?