Re: [CandlewickCollector] Snap Rings and Maries

  • ltanner@cityutilities.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2001
      Lisa,

      Some Imperial plates and bowls have what could be called a base or foot. That
      is called a "snap ring" or "marie". I, personally, never heard of a "marie"
      until about two or three years ago when people started using the word after
      one of the Conventions. I hope someone will have a better explanation than I
      have. Mary Lee???

      Virginia

      "Deborah Garner-Madsen" <Deborah@...> on 03/07/2001 02:47:05 AM

      Please respond to CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com

      To: CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Lisa Tanner/Admin/CUoS)
      Subject: [CandlewickCollector] Earthquake damage!

      I haven't written in awhile, but I do read the posts every day.

      I live in Tacoma, WA, and as you all know by now, we had a 6.8 earthquake last
      week. I only live a few blocks from work, and after the quake, all I could
      think about is my glass china hutch w/ my candlewick. I have my hutch tilted
      back with wooden shims just a hair, thinking at least this would help the case
      not to tip forward. My candlewick is packed inside as I really need a new
      case. Most of the plate and relish pieces are on the holders that display the
      piece standing up. During the quake, the doors on the side of the case flew
      open, and all the tightly placed pieces sort of did a dance, shifting to the
      back of the case. Not one piece came down, or broke! There is something to be
      said for too many pieces in a case!!!! I feel sooooo lucky. (oh, ya, my
      house is okay too.)

      Many years ago, I bought a product called Museum Wax to put on some plates and
      other misc Lenox collectible I have to secure them on their display rack. (BTW,
      they all stayed in place) I always thought about using it on my Candlewick, but
      just couldn't bring myself to put the stuff on the clear glass. I am one of
      those who puts most of my glass in the dishwasher twice a year....I know,
      everyone thinks this is awful, but I have not had any problems, and I think this
      is because of our soft water. Plus you would see the was thru the glass
      shelves. However, I may rethink this.

      Also, as an insurance agent, wouldn't you know I have never insured my
      collection. I am checking into the possibility that my Homeowners coverage may
      insured personal property on a All Risk basis (doubtful) , and then maybe I may
      schedule the glass. Even with earthqake coverage, it would not be benefical for
      my collection when you consider total damage and deductibles. A collection of
      about $7,000 is precious to me even tho I just can't afford to buy anymore these
      days as my husband is disabled and I am the breadwinner these days.

      Life is fragile, handle with prayer.
    • ltanner@cityutilities.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2001
        Lisa,

        Join the party! I am still learning new things about Candlewick after about
        28 years of researching the pattern. In fact, I learn new things here often.
        Isn't this group a lot of fun?

        DO ALL OF YOU KNOW THAT WE NOW HAVE 201 MEMBERS IN THIS GROUP?

        There are a lot of you out there who are still "silent members". We are glad
        you are in the group and hope you are learning a lot of new things along with
        Lisa and me! But, we wish more of you would speak up and tell us about
        yourselves, how you started collecting, about unusual pieces of Candlewick
        you find, make comments and ask questions. Join the fun!

        Virginia

        Thanks Virginia!

        Lisa

        ltanner@... on 03/07/2001 10:56:13 AM

        Please respond to CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com

        To: CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com
        cc: (bcc: Lisa Tanner/Admin/CUoS)
        Subject: Re: [CandlewickCollector] Snap Rings and Maries

        To: CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com
[...]

        Have a friend who is as crazy about Candlewick as you are? Well, be sure to
        tell them about this list. Feel free to forward this to them.

        To change between email and digest versions of this list, or to unsubscribe, go
        to http://www.yahoogroups.com and you can adjust your options there.