Re: [CandlewickCollector] Earthquake damage!

  • ltanner@cityutilities.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2001
      Deborah,

      Your email reminds me of the panic I feel every Spring as tornado season springs
      upon our area in southwest Missouri. Most of my Candlewick is packed away
      waiting for the bigger china cabinet, but I display some of my favorites in the
      dining room cabinet. Having lived through one devestating tornado, and with
      threats all spring and summer, my heart chills everytime I hear the sirens and
      realize there isn't time to get to safety with precious possessions. You are
      right about life being precious at that point--makes me realize who's really in
      control!

      I'm so glad you, your house, and your collection made it through without a
      scratch!

      Lisa

      "Deborah Garner-Madsen" <Deborah@...> on 03/07/2001 02:47:05 AM

      Please respond to CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com

      To: CandlewickCollector@yahoogroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Lisa Tanner/Admin/CUoS)
      Subject: [CandlewickCollector] Earthquake damage!

      I haven't written in awhile, but I do read the posts every day.

      I live in Tacoma, WA, and as you all know by now, we had a 6.8 earthquake last
      week. I only live a few blocks from work, and after the quake, all I could
      think about is my glass china hutch w/ my candlewick. I have my hutch tilted
      back with wooden shims just a hair, thinking at least this would help the case
      not to tip forward. My candlewick is packed inside as I really need a new
      case. Most of the plate and relish pieces are on the holders that display the
      piece standing up. During the quake, the doors on the side of the case flew
      open, and all the tightly placed pieces sort of did a dance, shifting to the
      back of the case. Not one piece came down, or broke! There is something to be
      said for too many pieces in a case!!!! I feel sooooo lucky. (oh, ya, my
      house is okay too.)

      Many years ago, I bought a product called Museum Wax to put on some plates and
      other misc Lenox collectible I have to secure them on their display rack. (BTW,
      they all stayed in place) I always thought about using it on my Candlewick, but
      just couldn't bring myself to put the stuff on the clear glass. I am one of
      those who puts most of my glass in the dishwasher twice a year....I know,
      everyone thinks this is awful, but I have not had any problems, and I think this
      is because of our soft water. Plus you would see the was thru the glass
      shelves. However, I may rethink this.

      Also, as an insurance agent, wouldn't you know I have never insured my
      collection. I am checking into the possibility that my Homeowners coverage may
      insured personal property on a All Risk basis (doubtful) , and then maybe I may
      schedule the glass. Even with earthqake coverage, it would not be benefical for
      my collection when you consider total damage and deductibles. A collection of
      about $7,000 is precious to me even tho I just can't afford to buy anymore these
      days as my husband is disabled and I am the breadwinner these days.

      Life is fragile, handle with prayer.
    • VRS1CW@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2001
        Deborah,

        I was so happy to hear that the earthquake did not break any of your
        Candlewick or damage your home. You were very blessed ! We saw the pictures
        on TV and the damage was terrible out there.

        Awhile back, a person representing a Museum Wax product sent me a sample. It
        seems to work quite well. I think I have an address around here somewhere for
        how to order the product. I am glad you haven't had any problem with
        putting your Candlewick in the dishwasher.

        Virginia