Re: Fw: My Story

  • Chris Milligan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
      That was a great story. How sweet of her to do that. My grandmother also gave me mine and my collection is not nearly as extensive as yours but I love it dearly. I am looking for stemware. Its hard to come by. If you know of any let me know please. Thanks for writing.

      Chris Miligan
      From: William R. Blanchard <wrb@...>
      To: HREF="mailto:CandlewickCollector@onelist.com <HREF="mailto:CandlewickCollector@onelist.com>
      Date: Saturday, October 30, 1999 12:07 AM
      Subject: My Story

      Perhaps you have heard this story because I believe I sent it to Virginia Scott, or some other collector of Candlewick information, in the past. At any rate, here it is again.

      I was the 3rd of five children and the oldest became very ill. To reduce my mom's workload, my grandparents offered to keep me for the summer. I was five years old.

      My grandmother was the secretary of the Rebecahs, a women's organization associated with the Shriners. She served in this capacity for many years and each year at Christmas, her friends would give her a piece of Candlewick to thank her for another year of service to the organization.

      One day during the summer she hosted an afternoon party for her lady friends. Of course she served everything on Candlewick. After the party, Grandma and I were cleaning dishes. She was washing and I was drying. I thought the dishes were very pretty because of the little glass beads and I told her that the party was great and the dishes were pretty.

      Sixteen years later, on my wedding day, she gave me her entire collection of 100 pieces of Candlewick. Today, forty two years later, my wife and I have over 600 pieces.

      The Blanchard's
    • VRS1CW@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
        Hi Candlewick Friends,

        It is great to hear the story of how some of you new members started
        collecting Candlewick. What a great grandmother William Blanchard must have
        had to allow a 5 year old dry her Candlewick after her party! Or what a
        reliable little boy he must have been! That was a great story. You were
        very fortunate to get 100 pieces of Candlewick as a wedding gift.

        I have been looking at E-bay a little and have seen some things that I want
        to warn the group about. I believe that not long after this group was
        started we may have discussed the heart nappy, the 400/40/0 6 1/2" basket
        and the 400/90 handled candleholders made in Vaseline color glass and showing
        up on E-Bay. One seller told me that they were being made for "Russo", a
        company that sold glass made by other companies. I wrote my Co-Editor Ron
        Doll and asked if he knew anything about who was making those and if he knew
        who "Russo" was. Ron answered that Russo was a wholesale glass company in
        Port Vue, PA. He sent me a flyer from the company and said he would write an
        article for our #106 Candlewick Collector, due out in November.
        Ron did write a very good article on these new reproductons sold by Russo and
        offered by several dealers on E-Bay. Another new, to me, Vaseline piece I
        saw was a 400/40F flower candleholder which had a Boyd diamond trademark on
        the bottom. I did not know that Boyd had that particular Candlewick mould,
        so think that may have been made for Russo or some other company also.

        In his article, Ron mentioned that Russo also has also been selling Cobalt
        Blue items with Shirley Temple decals, so collectors need to be aware of
        those, also. I was not surprised when I saw a 3-pc. 400/29/30 set, a 400/37
        Cup and Saucer and a covered candy dish in Cobalt Blue with the Shirley
        Temple decal on the sides on E-Bay this week. These pieces were getting
        bids. I hope the bidders do not think these were pieces made by Imperial.
        Another cobalt item on E-Bay was a hand mirror which the seller said was made
        by Dalzell Viking. That was new to me, too. It resembled the M-135 mirror
        made for I-Rice Co. by Imperial.

        As I often say in The Candlewick Collector Newsletter, "Knowledge cuts
        guesswork". Be sure to learn as much about Candlewick as possible.

        Virginia