Fwd: New CandlewickCollector member

  • frmthefan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
      Hello fellow collectors,

            I'm very excited to find this group!  I started collecting candlewick
      about 2 years ago when I was looking around an antique shop in the Shenandoah
      Valley of Virginia.  I had been generally interested in antiquing for a few
      years, but hadn't developed any particular collection or interest in specific
      items until that time.  I was admiring a piece of cut glass that was far
      beyond my price range and started chatting with the shop owner.  She showed
      me two candlewick low-footed sherbet dishes and told me a little about
      candlewick.  I bought those two dishes from her and then went to another shop
      down the street and bought six Boopie sherbets from a dealer who told me they
      were candlewick also!
            I discovered my mistake quickly when I saw the same sherbets in
      another shop labeled as "candlewick style" and asked about them.
      Fortunately, that shop was very honest with me and suggested I purchase Mary
      Wetzel-Tomalka's book about candlewick.  I did that and started educating
      myself about this beautiful glassware.
            Since then, I've acquired a number of interesting pieces of
      candlewick, mostly in the Northern Neck of Virginia and in Upstate New York.
       I've also acquired a fair amount of Boopie glass as gifts from
      well-intentioned friends and relatives.
            My favorite pieces in my collection are a relish tray with the
      Imperial sticker attached and a bowl which has slightly larger beads on two
      sides of the top.  (I don't recall the exact numbers of these pieces, but I
      did find them in Mary's book.)  I am keeping my eye out for the 72 candle
      birthday cake plate, as I would love to own that, along with a set of dinner
      plates.  I look at the pieces on Ebay from time to time, but find that I
      prefer the excitement of looking around a shop and discovering a piece of
      candlewick.
            That's my story of how I got started.  I'm looking forward to reading
      the emails on this list and to ordering a copy of the newsletter and
      Virginia's book.  Thanks for welcoming me into the group!

      Alice
      Richmond, Virginia
    • Deby
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
        Alice,
        Welcome to CW collecting and the e-mail group.
        The search is the fun part.  E-bay is easy, but you
        never know where you will find great CW.  You mentioned
        the Birthday Cake Plate.  I found mine in what was
        essentially a junk shop is a small town in western Kansas.
        We had to walk over all the things on the floor. I spotted
        beads on a plate at the bottom of a stack of plates.  It was a Birthday
        Cake Pate (although dirty)!  I asked my husband to pay for it, as I
        didn't think I could keep a straight face - it was priced $12!!
        We were beaming all the way home.  I must admit that not
        all my acquisitions have been at such a good price, but the
        thrill of finding something you've been looking for, where you
        least expect it, can't be beat!   Hope you enjoy the hunt and
        find some really good pieces!
        Deby

        At 02:58 PM 1/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
[...]

        eGroups Sponsor

        Have a friend who is as crazy about Candlewick as you are?  Well, be sure to tell them about this list.  Feel free to forward this to them.

        From: Glassmurf@...
        Full-name: Glassmurf
        Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:59:43 EST
        Subject: Re: New CandlewickCollector member
        To: Frmthefan@...

         Welcome and thank you for joining us!

           We'd love it if you would introduce yourself to the list by sharing a
        little about how you started collecting Candlewick.

           Send email to  <A HREF="mailto:CandlewickCollector@egroups.com">
        CandlewickCollector@egroups.com</A>

           For the emails that you may have missed prior to joining us, be sure to
        check out our archives at  <A
        HREF="http://www.egroups.com/archive/CandlewickCollector">CandlewickCollector
        Archives</A>.

           We hope you enjoy the CandlewickCollector mailing list.  If you have any
        questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

           your fellow Candlewicker,

           Laura
           glassmurf@...
           <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Glassmurf/list.html">CandlewickCollector
        </A>

      • Kathleen McGee

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
              Thanks Joan,
              My thought exactly, what a great tradition for the family - a special Birthday Cake Plate, but I can't really figure a good way to put the candles in the holes, they seem too shallow and rounded.  What a special thing to be able to grow up with a plate like that and see another candle put in every year - all the way to 72. LOL!

              My sister says to sell while the market is good, but I tend to hold on to things. :)

              Kathleen ~~~